Ron Moss - Avanti TT3 - Cylinder Kit - Review & Test.....

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I've had the kit on over 3 years (10k miles) and had it dyno'd a couple of years ago with the Franspeed Tour (not " Super") and a 30mm Dellorto and made about 20.5 hp on the dyno. Looks like the Mikuni made the difference.
Rick
Main scooter: Jet200

That's a tested kit think I'm on about 3.5k miles.. I think it must be the carb and race pipe, he has a lot of torque almost 20, I have 17.5 but I'm running very rich
faf
Main scooter: GP 230 Mugello

Mick, what settings are you using on the m-tech?
Cheers
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Set about 23/24 degree and retards to 16.....ish with setting number 7. checked with strobe and works ok, although i'm considering going to 22/21 degree at start, which then retards 5 degree at full revs (setting 2)
Last edited by mick1 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
faf
Main scooter: GP 230 Mugello

Cheers Mick,I've got one to fit on mine, just need to get round to it!
whonatic

Has anyone fitted an MB/BGM clubman pipe to the avanti kit?
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^.... No, not me but I just wanted to say that mine rides wonderfully with Ron's clubman on it. I ended up taking this off for a muffled expansion though as early mornings and a quiet neighbourhood didn't suit the loud clubman. If it had been quieter then I'd still have it on there.

I imagine that the MB clubman will suit it too but you need to watch out for a small tailpipe diameter (not sure what the MB is) restricting gas exit and causing heat to build up and cause overheating issues.

Adam
whonatic

Adam_Winstone wrote:^.... No, not me but I just wanted to say that mine rides wonderfully with Ron's clubman on it. I ended up taking this off for a muffled expansion though as early mornings and a quiet neighbourhood didn't suit the loud clubman. If it had been quieter then I'd still have it on there.

I imagine that the MB clubman will suit it too but you need to watch out for a small tailpipe diameter (not sure what the MB is) restricting gas exit and causing heat to build up and cause overheating issues.

Adam
Hi Adam

Thanks for that. Reason I'm asking about the mb pipe is I've tried 2 of the Ron moss pipes, and they will not rev, either on a Honda 205 or on this recently built Avanti.

I've even had 2 pipes reworked by Harry Barlow and they are still poor in comparison ( nothing to do with Harry - they were poor to start with )
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

OK, quick question: Have you had this motor rev with any pipe fitted?

My reason for asking this question is that the Ron Moss clubmans tend to rev really well, way beyond any other standard tailpipe clubman that I've run, incl. RS clubman. Indeed, the RM clubmans rev so well that they are the only standard tailpipe clubman that I've ever been happy with on a TS1, reaching the higher revs that allow a TS1 to ride like a TS1, rather than a SIL IV!

I wonder if you have another factor that is stopping your bike from revving correctly, e.g. stator or CDI working as a rev limiter, which is something covered many times in other posts?

I've 2 RM clubmans and a mate runs his on his TS1 and to date we've not had a RM clubman that didn't rev way beyond the range of other clubmans.

I'd hate to see you spend money on yet another pipe, only to find that it made no difference to the rev limit. Do you have an expansion that you could try, or borrow one to go once around the block (to test)?

Adam
whonatic

Thanks again Adam for your reply...

I've got a Ron moss on my rapido 225 with reedvalve, goes amazingly well. Had another fitted to my Honda 205.... Wouldn't go over 60mph, changed to MB, achieves 70mph.

On the Avanti, the rm pipe wouldn't rev, felt like a struggle in 4th, even changing the front sprocket, even though an improvement , was still no where near what people quote on here . Tried the rm pipe off the rapido above.... Improved.

I fitted another RM pipe to my other rapido 235 with reed valve, just struggled in 4th, swapped to an MB, pipe, like a different engine!

So... For me, it's an MB or the new Gori which I've been told is a lot quieter!!

( speeds above were next to car speedo, not Lambretta Speedo! )
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information