Bit of a grind when I kick her over?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

storkfoot wrote:If that picture is your cushdrive than that is the way there are and should be (refer back to rossclark's post).

You are going to have to take the side casing off but, if I were you, just check your kickstart lever is on the correct spline.

Failing all that take it to Barry turner. I suspect he'll diagnose the noise pretty quickly.

I can't see your hoped piston being the issue but I am firmly in the camp of other posters on this topic. That is I would strip the engine and make sure it is all cleaned out.
The picture of the cush is not my cush it's off the tinternet, I was using it to ilustrate what I am trying to say. I have opened the casing, and when I look at my cush drive, the gap where the sprocket meets the cush is quite big.....I am going to take a photo later and that may help explain. In the photo of the cush the you can see the gap ever so slightly open, on my cush the gap is much bigger, maybe its coming loose? Anyway, like I said, I'll take a photo later :D
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox 😎👍
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Give the Cush drive cap a tap with a hammer.

Does it clunk or boing?

The cap should slide down the splines and be held on the spring (boing) or if it's trapped on the top of the sleeve it will be solid (clunk).

Also check the inside of the casing in that area doe any sign of rubbing.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Ilango
Main scooter: SIL Vijai Super

alanscottj wrote:Sometime when I kick over my Lammy, it feels like there is a bit of a grind, only very briefly when the kickstart piston engages with the first gear, as I say it's very brief and then goes on to engage properly and starts her up. I thought at first it might be the kickstart itself moving on the splines of the kickstart shaft as that is what it feels like, but on inspection it ain't, it's all good there.
Had a similar problem in my Vijai Super too. Upon opening up the chain casing, it was found that the larger kick shaft bush was fitted loosely. Means that the hole had become larger. The bush snuggly fits into another chain cover. Ended up with a custom made oversized kick pedal bush to sort out this grinding noise. May be the bush has just started to get loose and give away in your case.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information