Bit of a grind when I kick her over?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

Sometime when I kick over my Lammy, it feels like there is a bit of a grind, only very briefly when the kickstart piston engages with the first gear, as I say it's very brief and then goes on to engage properly and starts her up. I thought at first it might be the kickstart itself moving on the splines of the kickstart shaft as that is what it feels like, but on inspection it ain't, it's all good there. Any thoughts? I jave drained oil out at it was a little low, there's about 350 ml in there, could it be coz of low oil?
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

Depends, is this a new problem or has it always done this?

LI or GP kick set up?
alanscottj

Grumpy225 wrote:Depends, is this a new problem or has it always done this?

LI or GP kick set up?
New problem, never done it before. Gp kickstart. When foot goes down, the piston connects, a bt more pressure and sometimes it goes down a little bit with a bit of a grinding noise like something not connecting, then it bites again an engine turns as it should. Just had casing off and can't see anything onviously wrong :?:
Grumpy225

I'd start by engaging the clutch and see if the problem is still there. This way you know if it's a bottom end or top end problem. With the clutch engaged you slowly kick the motor over and see if the grind is still there. Also if you can spin the flywheel (remove spark plug) you can check the top end at the same time.
alanscottj

Grumpy225 wrote:I'd start by engaging the clutch and see if the problem is still there. This way you know if it's a bottom end or top end problem. With the clutch engaged you slowly kick the motor over and see if the grind is still there. Also if you can spin the flywheel (remove spark plug) you can check the top end at the same time.
When I engage clutch and press slowly the kickstart goes down really smooth as it should, I think!
Grumpy225

alanscottj wrote:
When I engage clutch and press slowly the kickstart goes down really smooth as it should, I think!

that is what should happen.

You can be relatively assured that the clutch/gearbox isn't the problem.

all that's left is the chain to top end.
alanscottj

Okay, see this Cush drive above, when I look into my engine at this, there is quite a gap between the cogs, at first I thought it was cracked and then realised that There is two parts here that fit together, but, should there be quite a gap there or Should these be tight together? I'm wondering if my problem is that this has loosened or something??? I can see that in the picture above there is a gap but should it look like this when in the engine??
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

It sounds like the kickstart shaft could be rubbing on the top clutch plate.
alanscottj

HxPaul wrote:It sounds like the kickstart shaft could be rubbing on the top clutch plate.
I can't see any sign of that happening. It has never rubbed before. I am thinking there is something wrong with the Cush?
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

alanscottj wrote:Image

Okay, see this Cush drive above, when I look into my engine at this, there is quite a gap between the cogs, at first I thought it was cracked and then realised that There is two parts here that fit together, but, should there be quite a gap there or Should these be tight together? I'm wondering if my problem is that this has loosened or something??? I can see that in the picture above there is a gap but should it look like this when in the engine??
It's designed to slip over under a certain level of shock to prevent damage to the crank, but isn't supposed to do it under normal operation.

It can wear or the spring weaken or fitting the wrong spring can cause it to slip over under much less load and give symptoms like clutch slip.

If the cap hasn't been fitted on the spline properly the bolt can loosen and try to escape though your side casing.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information