Lambretta mag housing nightmare, all help appreciated !

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Egger
registered user
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:14 pm
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 special
Contact:

Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:13 pm

Its off !

Lots of heat, a bolt in the end of the crank and after a sound beating it finally it came out.

Thanks again guys much appreciated.

User avatar
coaster
registered user
Posts: 3682
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:35 pm
Location: London and Norfolk
Contact:

Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:56 pm

Egger wrote:Its off !

Lots of heat, a bolt in the end of the crank and after a sound beating it finally it came out.

Thanks again guys much appreciated.
Well done that man....now you've done that you have the delight of removing the drive side bearing retaining plate, make sure you have a large. sharp edged screwdriver to hand 8-)

bazza3004
registered user
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:02 pm
Contact:

Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:35 pm

Or a decent impact driver as the screws can be as much fun as your flywheel housing was !

User avatar
drunkmunkey6969
Moderator
Posts: 4252
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:42 pm
ebay user ID: sc00terotica
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP
Location: North Yorkshire
Contact:

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:51 am

bazza3004 wrote:Or a decent impact driver as the screws can be as much fun as your flywheel housing was !
I really like the allen-head oil seal plate screws. Made of incredibly soft metal, which someone has loctited in place.,...just one turn to round the head off!

lambro
registered user
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:41 pm
Contact:

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:15 am

I used to do that,

Then I was on the receiving end the other week,
I will never do it again, promise.

gaz_powell
registered user
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:10 pm
Location: hartlepool
Contact:

Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:26 am

"I really like the allen-head oil seal plate screws. Made of incredibly soft metal, which someone has loctited in place.,...just one turn to round the head off!"

Ha ha had a few of them - nothing worse than opened an engine up and seen them rounded

Not so bad when brand new and you have a decent hex head tool to install and strip - i use a socket attachment not an allen key.

My last two builds i went back to sloted screws (from SR)

Gaz

Egger
registered user
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:14 pm
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 special
Contact:

Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:51 pm

coaster wrote:
Egger wrote:Its off !

Lots of heat, a bolt in the end of the crank and after a sound beating it finally it came out.

Thanks again guys much appreciated.
Well done that man....now you've done that you have the delight of removing the drive side bearing retaining plate, make sure you have a large. sharp edged screwdriver to hand 8-)
:shock: Been staring at it for the last 20 mins wondering why I put myself through it !

bristolmod
registered user
Posts: 2423
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:42 am
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!
Contact:

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:01 pm

Egger wrote:
coaster wrote:
Egger wrote:Its off !

Lots of heat, a bolt in the end of the crank and after a sound beating it finally it came out.

Thanks again guys much appreciated.
Well done that man....now you've done that you have the delight of removing the drive side bearing retaining plate, make sure you have a large. sharp edged screwdriver to hand 8-)
:shock: Been staring at it for the last 20 mins wondering why I put myself through it !
cos its like a tall mountain innit " cos its there....."

If you use an Impact screwdriver thingy, make sure its body is not touching the inside of the mag housing area as you wack it- if it is touching its possible to put a burr or a slight indentation therein, which means a pig of a job getting the mag housing off again- I speak from bitter experience.....!

Chris
Scootering since 1968.

Muppet
registered user
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:54 pm
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:38 pm

bristolmod wrote:
If you use an Impact screwdriver thingy, make sure its body is not touching the inside of the mag housing area as you wack it- if it is touching its possible to put a burr or a slight indentation therein, which means a pig of a job getting the mag housing off again- I speak from bitter experience.....!

Chris
fit an exstension bar to ya impact drivr from a 1/2" drive soket set
im not a complete idiot
.
.
s me of the piec s are mis i g

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests