casa gp wont start

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

Had one yesterday , fitted DC stator BGM (was Indian) started scoot up no problem ran ok ,strobed timing due to different stators ,after I had re fitted cowling and footboard it wouldn't start so I checked plug no spark , changed plug for new one good spark but still wouldn't start ,checked usual wiring , carb etc I was thinking cant be electrical it has a good spark ! Ended up being the Indian cdi breaking down Fitted Ducatti CDI and all was good , heard mention that the different current power between BGM and Indian stators can cause this :?
Maybe worth trying a new CDI ?
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
weedodger
Main scooter: Indian gp casa 185 and 200

Cheers,will do,and will change stators too,have a rewound stator on my gp200, may end up spending on a varitronic for the gp,if I ever get ownership documents for it!
weedodger

green wire reading. 512

red (yellow ) 94

what i did notice is that when i drained tank, some fuel had got in the old wornn grommet, into the mag housing, was sitting on the base of it, i take it that would cause a problem? Dont se anything wrong wi stator, except a few discoloured copper wires?

whats next?
weedodger

today iv changed carb, slide, plug, lead, cdi unit, it starts, and runs, up into third, rev it, and it dies off, it cant be the jet, it ran all last year perfect,im gettin fed up now. all i have left to change over is the stator! So should i,
Toddy

weedodger wrote:today iv changed carb, slide, plug, lead, cdi unit, it starts, and runs, up into third, rev it, and it dies off, it cant be the jet, it ran all last year perfect,im gettin fed up now. all i have left to change over is the stator! So should i,
I would mate just to put your mind at rest it could be breaking down under load
weedodger

feckin hope so, least thatl be problem sorted, another night in the shed then! cheers toddy
lammydave
Main scooter: Li150Special RT195

have you tried diconnecting the green from the CDI that runs to the ignition switch?
Li150 S2 1959. Li150 Special 1964. GP125 1970. Jet 200 Performer 1981. 1967 Sx150. 1959 Li150 S1. 1968 li125 Series 4
Toddy

lammydave wrote:have you tried diconnecting the green from the CDI that runs to the ignition switch?
Agree worth a try before you strip down to bypass any probs with switch
weedodger

sorry, unsure what you mean, yake out green wire and?
coaster

weedodger wrote:sorry, unsure what you mean, yake out green wire and?
There are 2 green wires that plug into the CDI, one comes from the LT coil on the stator and the other goes up to the ignition switch (or cutout button). Ingition switches (esp indian ones) have a rendancy to short out inside and this puts an earth on ther ignition feed and kills or reduces the voltage available to provide a spark. It/'s a 2 second job to pull the green wire off the CDI thus eliminating the switch. If it starts and runs fine with the wire disconnected, you will need a new switch. You will need to stop the engine by putting it in gear and stallin g it with the gree disconnected.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information