P2 cutting out- FURTHER DEVELOPMENTS..

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ricalnic
Main scooter: Lambretta GP Monza 225

seen a P2 years ago, had never been touched, ran like a dog, took carb apart, and I was surprised it ran at all the jets were furred beyond belief. cleaned them all, - revelation
H,POOL GADGE
Main scooter: vespa polini220/gts 300

did you notice plug colour leading upto piston popping? autolube faliure! lean mix! timing to advanced! very difficult to hole a standard scooters piston without tampering with summit, a simonini pipe would,nt hole a piston, has he skimmed the head! he,s creating heat somewere!
the scoot was cutting out and then could bump it off whilst still rolling, i bet that was first signs of heat seizer and he was,nt reading it right, he,s lean! if he has,nt tampered with'out....
Dazza
Main scooter: S3 LI Rapido 225

As far as I know nothing has been done other than take the tank out to aid changing a cable recently, maybe pinched fuel pipe causing fuel starvation possibly? But I always thought issues with ignition/ timing caused holes?
If it aint broke.........tinker with it.....
lamblast

had the same sort of problem years ago but without the holed piston .there was a very small piece of crap in the main jet tube directly below the mainjet you could barely see it .get a long needle down there and move it around to see if you can see anythinge move .it was obviously blocking the main jet when it felt like it and making it run weak .it took me 2 days to find the problem with numerous carb strip downs .also check the fuel passage from the float bowl to the jet tube hope this helps
dopeshots
Xbox live gamer tag: rms789
Main scooter: GP150

I have been having the cutting out issue with my PX200E. It did it in std trim and after rebuilding the engine still did it.

I ran the scooter with no carb top on it and it cured the problem!
I am now running it with the carb top on but with the rubber hose disconnected from the frame.

No idea why it does it, but it now runs fine.
smiffy1968
Main scooter: Nevermind Mk1 T5

I holed a standard P2 piston years ago, the engine was std with a Mikeck. This engine had done thousands of miles no problem. Got a rebore and oversized piston and it ran for miles and miles again, my point being, i did not touch, clean, or analyze anything. Have also hole a PX125 piston, this had done thousands of miles also. Sometimes those little chunks of Ali just give up, over analysis can turn you stir crazy....
gonzo-jetsonslc
Main scooter: Lambretta SX 150

The same happened to a mate of mine just a few weeks ago, std. P200 that was running for ages without a problem. After getting a new cylinder/piston we checked the timing and after putting on a strobe light we noticed that the the firing point changed while twisting the throttle. On tick over it did 18°, on full throttle it was more like 25°! So the harder you pushed, the hotter it got.
It was the original CDI unit, we changed it and everything was fine after that. As far as my experience goes, a hole in the middle of the piston comes from a problem with the ignition (incl. spark plug), if it appears to be more towards the exhaust its more to do with a lean mixture.
scooter perv

built my standard p2 lump a few years ago and couldnt find the reason that it went to cut out when rolling off the throttle, like it was running out of petrol. Ive had engine apart, change all oil seals (metal clutch side) changed almost everythng and it still does it.Plug always nice colour and run perfect apart from cutting out,,only done 60mph mind flat out. Built another motor and whipped that one out and had to take clutch off for a mates scoot the other day and as soon as I opened clutch cover I smelt petrol. Now Id drained the oil a few times and im sure I could smell a faint petrol smell but could never be 100% sure.
MCH
Main scooter: street racer px

I have managed to hole 2 pistons on a standard px200, ok it does have a jl pipe and its upjetted, but the first time i did it everything went wrong -

autolube failed - teeth sheered on the cog,
fuel filter in the petrol tank fell apart,
wrong clutch side oil seal had been put in,
wrong engine oil had been put in,
carb was full of crap

this is what happens when you ask someone to sort your scooter out on the cheap

so then when overtaking a lorry on the m61, back wheel locks, i pull my clutch in and somehow get onto the hard shoulder, as it had locked up, i take the head off and find a holed piston.

then needed full engine rebuild, crank was knackered, so had everything replaced to get it back on the road asap because it was my daily at the time, so after an arm and a leg later at solely scooters, i finally got it back and fully working, well i thought i had, the clutch plates they put in were too thick, so had to take it back to get it sorted again.

anyway as they had rebuilt the engine, i then had it serviced at their place, again cost a bomb, but i thought well if anything goes wrong at least they will sort it.

took it else where for a minor service after that, oil change etc at a piaggio dealer, then as i was doing some maintenance on it, i decided to check to the cylinder and piston to see if theres any coke build up and hey presto, the piston had nearly holed again, so off to solelys again to say can you sort this out, you built the engine, why is it trying to hole the piston, so they took it in and replaced the piston along with 100 other things i didn't ask for,

came to collect it and i refused to pay for the piston as i stated pistons don't just hole after two years, after much argument, they would not give me my scooter back, so it went on for a week, holding me to ransom and claiming its not their fault and that its all my fault.

so instead of trying to drag through the small claims court, i paid up and got my scooter back

never again will i deal with you know who at solelys and there ridiculous labour charges and extra charges and replacing things without asking you attitude.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information