Clutch 'free play'

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
yellow peril

I am replacing the clutch for the new MB kit (billet spider and new pressure plate) and on the first go it drags terribly to the point of not being able to slect gears without stalling, when compressed the plates have aprx 1.5mm of free play, is this ok?
I can get the scoot to select a gear but this involves the brash plunger running on the clutch at all times, again is this normal or even ok as my old system had a couple of mm play on the clutch lever.The new MB pressure plate is slightly deeper than a std one plus has a small disc running in the centre.
Even with the cable tight the clutch operates freely and does not jam etc....

I cannot ring MB til they open Tuesday so any advice wiil be helpful.
Thanks
hydra
Dealer

Hi yellow Peril, did you buy the complete Kit with the Steels and corks? I have fitted the same spider and pressure plate with a mixture of different thickness plates and corks. I fitted a standard cork and 1.5 steel plate first and the rest were corks and steels from a green 5 plate clutch, making a 6 plate in total. I also have the same problem of not being able to select gear properly/drag, although i have today removed the dog leg lever from the handlebar and replaced it with a standard lever which gives a little more travel, I have yet to try this out on the road.
yellow peril

Hi,
Yes, complete 5 plate kit, also have the yamaha lever and friction free cable?
sean brady scooters
Dealer

did you check the heights between center shoulder of spider and clutch bell housing..
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
yellow peril

sean brady scooters wrote:did you check the heights between center shoulder of spider and clutch bell housing..
Hi Sean,
If i understand you correctly, the pressure plate sits below below the spider by a few mill and bottoms out on the crownwheel?
sean brady scooters
Dealer

no thats not what i meant ,
If you have stickys spanner manual..then check out the bottom pic on page 93.. :D
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
stageman

if you take it apart again you´ll probably find that the ears of the bottom steel plate catch against the flanks of the pressure plate. if you pull in the clutch it will not have enough free play since that steel plate rests on the flanks of the pressure plate. file down the lugs (every second one will do) and assemble correctly (so that the lugs you filed down now face the pressure plate flanges flanks). that´s what did the trick with my clutch at least.
yellow peril

stageman wrote:if you take it apart again you´ll probably find that the ears of the bottom steel plate catch against the flanks of the pressure plate. if you pull in the clutch it will not have enough free play since that steel plate rests on the flanks of the pressure plate. file down the lugs (every second one will do) and assemble correctly (so that the lugs you filed down now face the pressure plate flanges flanks). that´s what did the trick with my clutch at least.
Stripped it and started gain, the first plate had already been modified by MB nd marked 1st plate so this is fine, i checked the heights as per Sean;s comment plus the spider is running nice and smoothly etc....
I dry built the unit without the springs etc.. and the pressure plate does drop all the way down (it bottoms out on the clutch nut), the gap from the pressure plate to the circlip is 27.2mm and the complete supplied clutch kit is 24.2mm so technically there is more than enough room.
I can only assume the amount of compressed space using the tool is not the distance achieved with the lever etc... i tried tightening the clutch cable until the cable had pre-loaded the assembly and this did select the gears and not move!! but i assume you are not supposed to have the brass plunger touching the pressure plate whilst running (anyone can confirm?)

I have ordered a 2mm top plate which should allow a bit more room, so hopefully will resolve.

Why does nothing ever fit on Lambrettas!
dirtyhandslopez

I haven't read the whole thread(feeling a bit under the weather0) but I know that worn out lever pin holes in the lever and a worn out hole in the clutch lever support can make getting the correct amount of slack nearly impossible.
That's not going anywhere...
hydra
Dealer

follow on from my previous post. With a standard clutch lever on the Handlebar, I have gained a lot more travel of the cable etc than with the previosly fitted Dog leg lever and have now got a usable clutch.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information