cylinder cowling "fin" welding needed

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
soullad
Dealer

As per J1MS special "fin"
see below
http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7183

Could do with being done asap...
Cheers in advance
Ian
shocky

if you get the info on were it needs to go and other sizes then i can do it im not busy
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
soullad
Dealer

shocky wrote:if you get the info on were it needs to go and other sizes then i can do it im not busy
could anyone help with this......maybe measure up an original GP item? Thanks.
soullad
Dealer

Anyone?
Am desperate to let Steve know the info he needs so he can get welding.......
Also Ian (Taffspeed) said he might laser cut a few and offer a welding / bolting service if there was enough demand? When he's fully recovered of course ! Hes a firm believer in the need of the fin to push coolant over the hot side of high HP motors.
J1MS

Hi Ian, If I can get into the Garage and find one thats done and not on an engine I will give some measurements...

I make some of mine larger if I'm welding them to the Indian cowl, as its wider than Italian so to put the fin near enough to the cylinder it needs to be longer by about 15-20mm, from memory...

Im working tomorrow, so maybe on Sunday if there is a cowling with a fin fitted thats free from an engine...
sean brady scooters
Dealer

wasnt the fins in the cowl introduced on italian 200cc motors...to deflect more cooling air towards exhaust manifold.....?
then binned by the indian SIL factory on their cowls...
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
soullad
Dealer

J1MS wrote:Hi Ian, If I can get into the Garage and find one thats done and not on an engine I will give some measurements...

I make some of mine larger if I'm welding them to the Indian cowl, as its wider than Italian so to put the fin near enough to the cylinder it needs to be longer by about 15-20mm, from memory...

Im working tomorrow, so maybe on Sunday if there is a cowling with a fin fitted thats free from an engine...
Thanks, appreciate this.....yes it is a new Indian cowling so the longer fin measurement would be ideal, plus location etc
Cheers in advance.

Sean - yes I believe you are correct.

I was also chatting about the whole cooling system with CS's Chris (dactek) and another area that needs attention is the L shaped cut-out on the far side of the cylinder. It has a tiny lip thats vital to help drag air out of the cylinder cowling. Its important that you retain this lip and that your bottom fin of the head doesn't completely close off the route of escaping air by nearly touching the cylinder cowling. The vertical part of this cut out actually allows the air to escape below the rear runner and so not feed hot air back under the panels and avoid all the issues on jetting / running this can cause.
As far as I can see we need as much help as possible to help cool our scoots
J1MS

The Indian head cowl seems to have a good shape cut into it for directing the air below the footboard, instead of directing it back under the panels, but they used very thin metal on some of them...

A spot welder would be the best way to weld the fin into place, very easy to use, just set the timer and press together...

Add to wish list, A 230 volt hand held Spot Welder.. :)
shocky

J1MS wrote:The Indian head cowl seems to have a good shape cut into it for directing the air below the footboard, instead of directing it back under the panels, but they used very thin metal on some of them...

A spot welder would be the best way to weld the fin into place, very easy to use, just set the timer and press together...

Add to wish list, A 230 volt hand held Spot Welder.. :)
i,ll be using a TIG AS MY MIG IS KAPUT
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
soulsurfer

Hmmm, all the carbon cowls have no lip on the L shape cut out :-?
Is a cowl with the scoop a preferred choice or not?
And what about cutaway or removed footboards, help or hindrance?

May have to send one down Steve ;-)

May have asked before, but what happened to the MB ones?
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information