Winter Model Rusteration Challenge!

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
robbbee
Main scooter: Spanish Li 150 Winter Model

Hello,
I am new to scooters, and have got a long term project that I am aiming to have sorted in few years (1964 Winter model , elaborate paint job and high spec engine), but in the meantime, I have a complete winter model to play with!
The challenge is, with help from a mate (who's scooter it is!) to get the scoot up and running, on the road for £300. I have a list of bits that are required, and will be taking loads of pictures.
Basically, I am in the market for....
3 set of rims
A horn
Fork rubber set
Clutch and brake levers
Handlebar grips
One panel mechinism
Key ignition switch
Nylon lined cable set
Rear brake cable
New stand feet
Stand spring
Clutch plates
Rear shock
Panel rubbers
3 tyres and tubes
2 panel handles
The scooter is COMPLETLY original, and the challenge is to get the bits, clean it up and put it together, get it MOTed and taxed fro £300. This will give me something to play on for the summer, and until I get my mega scoot together!

SO....does anyone k now where I can get the best prices for the bits listed? And do you reckon its possible?

Pictures will be posted at regular intervals, and all questions and enquiries (And help!!) are welcome. I am really new at all this, but will be doing my best, and can’t wait to get it started , then finished!!!!
Robbie B
yam-lam
Main scooter: serveta 125li & t5

i would take your 300 pounds to wicksteed parts fair on the 7 may i think....the best parts fair, for second hand and new parts :D
robbbee

good tip, thanks. But the challenge is to get it on the road and running for that money. I have another one that I think is gonna cost a bloody fortune to get it where I want it. Still, will bear the Wicksteed rally in mind. Might go there on my cheap winter model!!!! See you there?
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

robbbee wrote:Hello,
I am new to scooters, and have got a long term project that I am aiming to have sorted in few years (1964 Winter model , elaborate paint job and high spec engine), but in the meantime, I have a complete winter model to play with!
The challenge is, with help from a mate (who's scooter it is!) to get the scoot up and running, on the road for £300. I have a list of bits that are required, and will be taking loads of pictures.
Basically, I am in the market for....
3 set of rims
A horn
Fork rubber set
Clutch and brake levers
Handlebar grips
One panel mechinism
Key ignition switch
Nylon lined cable set
Rear brake cable
New stand feet
Stand spring
Clutch plates
Rear shock
Panel rubbers
3 tyres and tubes
2 panel handles
The scooter is COMPLETLY original, and the challenge is to get the bits, clean it up and put it together, get it MOTed and taxed fro £300. This will give me something to play on for the summer, and until I get my mega scoot together!

SO....does anyone k now where I can get the best prices for the bits listed? And do you reckon its possible?

Pictures will be posted at regular intervals, and all questions and enquiries (And help!!) are welcome. I am really new at all this, but will be doing my best, and can’t wait to get it started , then finished!!!!
Robbie B
Route round parts pairs for some parts any new ones rubbers etc Scooter restiorations are a good source .
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

yam-lam wrote:i would take your 300 pounds to wicksteed parts fair on the 7 may i think....the best parts fair, for second hand and new parts :D
March, not May.
Soulpunk

safe money not safety.

if you want to safe money, do not risk your health by crap tyres (vee rubber) or non-overhauled brakes, silly bouncing forks and a 40 year old rear damper.
:idea:
robbbee

removed front wheel and found 14mm nylocs holding the rim together, along with the usual 14mm dome nuts holding these to the hub.

Speaking of the hub, noticed this had never been fitted with a speedo drive, or speedo. As you can see from the pictires below, there is no grease in the hub or a speedo drive collar. Also note the chrome speedo blanking nut.

Also note no need for a grease nipple.
Popped in some new bearings and seals, and some brake shoes. Also rebuilt the hub.
Next attempted the hub rebuild and got covered in grease! Fitted some MB progressive springs and new grease nipples, and metal end stops after we removed the old plastic ones!

Fitted front end back together and even remembered to slide in the speedo inner (the wrong way round!) and the front brake cable, something I found easier when popping back front ends with these mudguards.
sydduckett

The wicksteed route as mentioned will be by far your best bet, especially as its only 2 weeks away. you will be able to find orig spec parts that will be cheaper better made and most of all will fit. okay you may need to clean them up a bit but you will keep in your budget. going down the dealer route will be a lot more exspensive and ebay is really a minefield as all on here will testify to buying stuff that never made it onto there scoot... :(

anyways good luck and hope to see you at wicksteed.

sef
robbbee

Cheers dude, will try to get down there... will be wearing a red carnation!!

Hope to post more pics as I get on with it!
Supereibar

double post :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Supereibar on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information