1957 Ld 125 First resto and scoot

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
Frautzi

Hi all thought id get some piccys together and show you my Ld... not everyone's bag i know. Some of you would of seen it on LCGB site.

First scoot first resto. Got it from a guy in Windermere when i saw it for real i thought he'd just dragged it from the bottom of the lake :o

Brought it home and kinda thought id bitten off more than i could chew.. i got given a box of bits with it but soon realised that most were other bits of scrap and parts off a comma van? :oops:

so made a list and trawled E-pay, but back then when you searched for Ld bit you were lucky to get 5 items.. (3yrs ago) now its more like 175 per page..

Started the strip....

Although the body and panels looked shot.. they were quite solid..

After some phoning around i was given the name of a painter and carted the pile of junk over to his shop... needless to say he wasn't that impressed but told me he'd seen worse. We agreed a price and sorted the colours.. and he said don't call me.. it will be done when its done :)

So whilst it was away i got to grips with the the engine....after numerous... Don't mess with them Ld engines there a nightmare conversations, i tought Ball's to it i'll do it myself..

all new seals bearings and gaskets.. the clock shows just under 4k and to be honest the condition of the internals and crank showed it. It must of seized at some point and was just left to die.

at this point i should of had a load of piccys the painter took after strip and primer but he lost the piccys when his hard drive went bang :x

So strait onto nice new paint and the build up

Engine back in frame minus top end.. to save a bit of weight and duffing the new paint.

forks on mudguard and bars

rolling chassis and out in the sun to try and harden the paint a bit.

getting there now!

And the finish...

All took around 18mth mainly due to parts/paint and spare time...

Now got this to do...

Its now in bits blasted some powder done.. just need to get time to start the dry build before off to the painters over Christmas..

Cheers

Jay
Last edited by Frautzi on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better to keep quiet and be thought of as a D!ck Head, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
joespeed

before i scrolled down i thought 'that will make a nice scooter' i was right,hope the new one turns out just as nice ,
regards
joe
sean brady scooters
Dealer

that LD is looking fantastic.....well done.
the next one looks easy compared ...... :lol:
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
tony
Main scooter: 90ss

looking good matey.. now am i right in seeing that the LD has square stud configuration onn the barrel :o
Sponsors: Performance Tuning. Ve Uk. Scooter Center Koln. LTH . DRT
RICSPEED

nice job ,is it pearl white ?
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
Frautzi

Thanks for the comments much appreciated :)
RICSPEED wrote:nice job ,is it pearl white ?
Hi RIC I wouldn't say a total Perl.. its a really bright white with a sliver tint over then lacquered.. no idea what its called. looks the part when its in the sun thou.
tony wrote:looking good matey.. now am i right in seeing that the LD has square stud configuration on the barrel :o
Hi Tony.... How do you mean square stud ?? the actual stud or the stud pattern? I really am a total novice when it comes to the science of engines. And what is the relevance of square pattern?

Sorry if i sound daft but i have to know now :D

Jay
Better to keep quiet and be thought of as a D!ck Head, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Jet200

I'm really chuffed you posted this. I'm in the long process off doing an Ld MkIII too and I'm much encouraged by the outcome of yours. It looks great. Good luck with the next project. 8-) 8-)
Frautzi

Jet200 wrote:I'm really chuffed you posted this. I'm in the long process off doing an Ld MkIII too and I'm much encouraged by the outcome of yours. It looks great. Good luck with the next project. 8-) 8-)

Glad you like it Jet200..they are a great little ride i did the LCGB coast 2 coast on it and i made it no problem. and I'm 6'1" and the wrong side of 15 stone.. it was painfully slow at times but great fun.

I ve done some slight tuning and made a expansion it will sit all day at 50 as long as its nice and flat.. first sign of a hill and it doesn't like it.

Jay
rog60
Main scooter: Indian GP200

Admire your tenacity in completing it................very smart. Are you still on 6v or have you changed to 12v with Howard Chambers Kit :?: :?: :?:
NO IT'S NOT A F***IN* MOPED!!!!!!
Frautzi

rog60 wrote:Admire your tenacity in completing it................very smart. Are you still on 6v or have you changed to 12v with Howard Chambers Kit :?: :?: :?:

Hi rog60, i'm still on 6v the Howard chambers kit is on the list, but need to get the GP done first so i can take the Ld off the road. I've seen howard's work on the Ld crank when i went to collect the gp, its realy tidy and the shaft on the replacement crank is machined to take the gp fly wheel. Also if you look on saigon scooter web site they are doing a front disc conversion and a sports pipe for the Ld.

You can buy a electronic kit for the D from cassa but not the Ld ? I'd of thought the Ld would of sold more units than the D.

Jay
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information