Dc ignition switch troubles

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Bensmith225
Main scooter: Lambretta gp monza 225

Just fitted a dc ignition switch to my gp with the parking light function as I plan to fit a battery to it at some point this month. I've been told by a lot of people it will work the same as the original. All the wires were exactly the same. the scooter fires up on the first and second click and the horn works but when I turn it to switch the lights on I've got no lights and the horn no longer works
I'm really confused, seems like the power to my light switch cuts out when I turn it to power the lights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

Bensmith225 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:12 pm Just fitted a dc ignition switch to my gp with the parking light function as I plan to fit a battery to it at some point this month. I've been told by a lot of people it will work the same as the original. All the wires were exactly the same. the scooter fires up on the first and second click and the horn works but when I turn it to switch the lights on I've got no lights and the horn no longer works
I'm really confused, seems like the power to my light switch cuts out when I turn it to power the lights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So you haven't installed the battery yet?

Which lights are you expecting to turn on? The headlight is always AC and there is a lot more to a DC bike then just the switch.

Sounds like you need to read over the schematics again.
Bensmith225

I mean exactly what I said, My headlight doesn't work, battery or not they should work with the switch I have, I'm well aware of the difference between ac/dc and was merely asking a question about the switch and if any knew why my headlights wouldn't work while it was running (no batter needed) turns out it was the brand new light switch i fitted causing the issues, swapped to the old one and everything is working
Cheers for the patronising comment though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

Bensmith225 wrote:I mean exactly what I said, My headlight doesn't work, battery or not they should work with the switch I have, I'm well aware of the difference between ac/dc and was merely asking a question about the switch and if any knew why my headlights wouldn't work while it was running (no batter needed) turns out it was the brand new light switch i fitted causing the issues, swapped to the old one and everything is working

I had the exact same problem last week. Did yours come from around Doncaster? I repaired mine but a replacement has also been sent.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

Bensmith225 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:57 pm I mean exactly what I said, My headlight doesn't work, battery or not they should work with the switch I have, I'm well aware of the difference between ac/dc and was merely asking a question about the switch and if any knew why my headlights wouldn't work while it was running (no batter needed) turns out it was the brand new light switch i fitted causing the issues, swapped to the old one and everything is working

Happy to help.
coaster

Bensmith225 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:57 pm I mean exactly what I said, My headlight doesn't work, battery or not they should work with the switch I have, I'm well aware of the difference between ac/dc and was merely asking a question about the switch and if any knew why my headlights wouldn't work while it was running (no batter needed) turns out it was the brand new light switch i fitted causing the issues, swapped to the old one and everything is working

TBF, your post suggested that you were expecting the horn to work but on a DC system, that works off the battery as does the brake light, the DC feed is only a trickle charge and wouldn't be enough to power either of them on its own. Glad you got it sorted.
Bensmith225

GeorgeS wrote:
Bensmith225 wrote:I mean exactly what I said, My headlight doesn't work, battery or not they should work with the switch I have, I'm well aware of the difference between ac/dc and was merely asking a question about the switch and if any knew why my headlights wouldn't work while it was running (no batter needed) turns out it was the brand new light switch i fitted causing the issues, swapped to the old one and everything is working

I had the exact same problem last week. Did yours come from around Doncaster? I repaired mine but a replacement has also been sent.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Yes mate I think it did, didn't have time to look inside the switch yet but I'll have a look at that tonight and see what the issue is. What was wrong with yours? Was it bridging to earth? That what I can only assume mine was doing.

No I said I was trying to use it in the same way as a standard ignition switch so the engine would have to be running for anything to work.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information