Wheel nut query?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Ok I guess I should know the answer to this but I don't so here goes. I'm replacing the stainless nylock nuts on my wheels with the correct 14mm zinc plated ones, 4 domed and 4 open nylocks per wheel but which go were? I'm guessing the domed ones are used to fix the two rim halves together and the open ones to fix the rim to the hub, am I right?
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

It is the other way around, dome nut hold the wheel to the brake drum and the nylocs hold the rim halves together.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Unless you're a stickler I'd use all nylocs. You can never tell with domed nuts.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

What's best for attaching the side casing?
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Timbo wrote:What's best for attaching the side casing?
Standard nuts and a wavy washer.....
Did you have to do that?
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

Doom Patrol wrote:Unless you're a stickler I'd use all nylocs. You can never tell with domed nuts.
fully agree!
Scootering since 1968.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

The original wheel nuts were domed with nyloc inserts.
Scooterdude

Just to many stainless fasteners available these days, it's the wrong tensile strength for wheel fixings.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Although stainless steel has a lower tensile strength,stainlees wheel rim nuts should be well up to the job,after all the recomended torque setting is only 14.5 to 16.6 LBS-FT ( according to Sticky's manual torque settings) In fact MB,Casa and SR do a wheel nut kit and their stainless steel.
Scooterdude

When I did my restoration last winter I had to replace a lost wheel stud, anyway I wrongly replaced it with a stainless one and when I took the back wheel off last month it snapped clean in to.

One of the problems with the stainless nylocks is they don't seem to be the correct height thus offering less of a threaded area for tightening.

When you combine stainless nuts with stainless studs that's when the real problems start, because of the high chrome content the threads tend to bind to each other which inevitably ends up with the stud snapping.
On the other hand if you use a stainless nut but with a high tensile stud or a stainless stud with a high tensile nut you should be alright.

Titanium (not that many folks would use titanium fasteners on a scooter) is worse for thread binding than stainless.

Much better to use the right high tensile studs and nuts, mine came in the post this morning and fitting them they had a much better and more secure feel than the stainless ones I took off.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information