Test your carb know how

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Snails

Ok, to try to fix my starting problems I've purchased a phbh carb service kit

and a float needle valve

https://www.wasp-performance.co.uk/onli ... e-300.html

questions

1. Can you tell me what the various bits in the picture are for. The ones I think I know are:
a. Top left big circle is for around the float chamber
b. Rubber boot for choke mechanism
c. Largest, right most fibre washer for fuel bango
d. Second most small o ring is for one of the jets (starter I think) - no idea why it needs one but there was one fitted so I replaced it. You can see it in the picture.
e. Second largest fibre washer is for the float chamber bolt

2. The float needle valve did not come with a fibre washer as pictured in the link, and neither was there one already fitted to carb, also I cant see where it would go as if one was fitted it would seem to block the hole in the side of the float. Is this really fitted?

What are the two screw things in the side of carb? I think the right most is obvs the air mixture screw, how many turns should it be turned? Whats the smaller needle one for?
Morgan
Main scooter: T5 Vespa Mk1

Think you may be wrong with the screws. The larger screw (rh side) is the tickover screw, which lifts the slide up and down fractionally and the smaller screw is the mixture screw....................I think :?
bazza3004

morgan is correct regarding the 2 screws
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

I'd say that if there's no fibre washer under the float valve then fuel will bypass the needle leading to flooding so you need to fit one. Most of the seals/washers in that kit are not needed.
Snails

wack 63 wrote:I'd say that if there's no fibre washer under the float valve then fuel will bypass the needle leading to flooding so you need to fit one..
Oh good. I was hoping you'd say that
Snails

Morgan wrote:Think you may be wrong with the screws. The larger screw (rh side) is the tickover screw, which lifts the slide up and down fractionally and the smaller screw is the mixture screw....................I think :?
How many turns for the mixture is a good starting point? Same as a jetex or Sh delly?
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

2-3
C’est la vie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information