Rear wheel ticking noise

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
thackers

Hi, I'm looking for some guidance on a ticking noise coming from the rear wheel/hub. I've had the scoot on a dyno today and noticed the noise and a slight wobble as the wheel spun. There seems to be no play when rocked by hand and the wheel nuts are tight. Can anyone point out where I might have the problem please? Could it be a bearing? Also if I were to change the layshaft which one to go for would be advice that is kindly received. Thanks.
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

I would remove a couple of the nuts to be sure the holes have not elongated out also that your nuts are not the domed ones that may be tight but not gripping the rim. I know obvious first
thackers

I'll check them out again and to see if the holes are elongated, which I hope not as the rims are sip ones.
bazza3004

If your using split rims ive yet to see a set that dont have a slight wobble. When i rebuilt my mates motor a while back i noticed a ticking noise when the hub was rotated backwards. Not sure what exactly was causing this but upon replacing the hub bearing and re shimming the g.box the noise stopped.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I've had a bearing tick that turned out to be the bearing's race had gone bye bye and all of the balls were sitting at the bottom of the bearing. I've also had the same issue that others mention, that of rims moving on the hub studs, elongating rim holes and wearing through studs!

Best checked out.

Adam
Daggs

Probably either a gear cable or the clutch cable touching the wheel. :D
thackers

Thanks everyone, I haven't had chance to check it yet but when I do I'll report back with findings.cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information