BGM silent blocks too big?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Nerdy Norm
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 S3

I've just fitted a pair of long-type BGM silent blocks into my Series 2 LI engine. One thing I've noticed is that with the silent blocks pulled fully into place, the inner metal tube protrudes towards the inside by around 1mm.

I haven't yet tried fitting the engine to the frame, but I'm fairly sure that this extra couple of mm is going to prevent it fitting between the mounting holes. It seems that I have 3 options:

1. File down the tube so that it's flush with the engine casing
2. Try to pull the tube out slightly
3. Pull the whole silent block out a little

What would be my best option?
Lambretta LI125 Series 2, Lambretta LI150 Series 3, Lambretta J100 Cento, LML Star 150 2T
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

That's actually normal. You need to run the correct frame cones with those mounts and it will be fine.
Nerdy Norm

Aha, that sounds promising! I have a new (longer) engine bolt, as well as the matching cones, so fingers crossed ...
Lambretta LI125 Series 2, Lambretta LI150 Series 3, Lambretta J100 Cento, LML Star 150 2T
Daggs

I've done a lot of rebuilds and only had that problem once (not a BGM mount) The engine would not fit in place. I resolved it by removing the projecting tube with a fine disc cutter.
GP240

That is the correct way they should be, to prevent the engine case from touching the frame. Eliminate vibration (=silent block).

noticed you have a 'F' stamped above the mount, often wondered what this meant, other casings have a letter stamped above the casing lower damper mount.
Old Lambretta's never die, they get tuned..................
Nerdy Norm

OK great, I'll hopefully get the engine back in the frame over the long weekend.

Interesting about the letter stamp - maybe a QC mark? From memory, there's a different letter stamped on the other lug.
vegansydney

As you can see from the Innocenti blueprints below the tube is meant to protrude by 2mm.

Unfortunately, as you can see from this image (appropriated from the GSF) there is a wide variation in sizes from aftermarket manufacturers :roll:

Nerdy Norm

Interesting, thanks. I've measured the frame gap as well as the mount width, and it looks like I've got around 1mm to spare.

All will be revealed over the weekend hopefully :)
nuttyboy
Main scooter: lambretta

Change of subject ,,were u get the cool blue prints

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

nuttyboy wrote:Change of subject ,,were u get the cool blue prints

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
I believe a lot were rescued from a bonfire years ago at the factory (unbelievable yes!!)

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information