clutch slip again

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
handofdave
Main scooter: li ts1

what are the best plates to use in a 5 plate clutch set up?tried the surflex and slipped like mad after 300 miles,put newfren in and slipping under load after 100 miles ,am using uprated springs plus centre spring,clearances are ok ,bike is ts1
cheers
GP Kevo
Main scooter: 1969 150 DL / GP225 TS1

Have you tried Adige carbon mesh plates? They are very new and I know nothing about them, but Dean Suinn in LA once had Barnett make some carbon Lambretta clutch plates which didn't slip but turned out to be too grabby.

http://www.mitolambretta.com/product_in ... cts_id=232

I'm in the same boat as you. Rebuilding this weekend with BGM plates, MB springs and AF center and if that slips, P200 springs over the MB ones.
Maybe I'll try the carbon mesh plates if my clutch still slips after the weekend.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Have you checked that your front sprocket isn't slipping under load?
GP Kevo
Main scooter: 1969 150 DL / GP225 TS1

^ good idea, that, as in the last two days there has been a bit of a shudder when riding the bike at less than hooligan behaviour. The last time this happened the rivets on the spider had worked loose. I had that welded, though, so I doubt it's the spider.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Kickstart shaft rubbing on top plate?
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
handofdave
Main scooter: li ts1

thanks for the replies,front sprocket is fine ,kickstart shaft is clear,it just slips like mad about 6000rpm under load putting out 32bhp
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Has the crown got a locating pin? Try one withouth as it cured my woes...
coaster

handofdave wrote:........,it just slips like mad about 6000rpm under load putting out 32bhp
:shock: :shock: and you're only using a 5 plate clutch, I would think you'd need some sort of cassette clutch for that sort of power :?
ArmandTanzarian

coaster wrote:
handofdave wrote:........,it just slips like mad about 6000rpm under load putting out 32bhp
:shock: :shock: and you're only using a 5 plate clutch, I would think you'd need some sort of cassette clutch for that sort of power :?

32 bhp sounds a lot for a "normal" clutch, even a five plate one. I think you may have to get some deeper pockets and spend out on something a bit more exotic.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Tom Russell

handofdave wrote:thanks for the replies,front sprocket is fine ,kickstart shaft is clear,it just slips like mad about 6000rpm under load putting out 32bhp
I'd go for Cambridge Lambretta 6 plate kit (green surflex plates) and crownwheel, which copes with my Super Monza. Rough up the steels, or even better, get them shot penned for extra grip :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information