PHBH 30 camlam specs

Check here for a list of various carb set-ups to help with jetting and all aspects of carb trickery!
Noplastic
Main scooter: Vespa PX221 disc

Hi everyone,
I'm searching for some good tips to set up my phbh 30 on a Mugello 225+JL3.
Searching the net i noticed this cambridge lambretta set up for my type of engine:

slide 45
needle X2
atomiser AV268
main 125
choke 50
pilot 55
float 5gms
screw 1 - 2 turns

do you think it might work fine? anybody tried the same set up before? I have two atomisers: AS 266 and AV 268, two needles: X2 and X7, three chokes: 70, 50, 55 and 1 pilot: 55 and main jets from 110 to 135. Slides 40 and 45. The float bowl is standard 200 (not sure about the milligrams though). so i have all the jets to follow the camlam specs plus a little extra to try some adjustments. I know that AV 266 and X13 should be part of the basic PHBH kit but this is what have at the moment.
Any help appreciated.
SpanishSX200

They all sound ok, but I would use at least a 300/350 needle float valve other wise you will not get enough fuel through. I had this exact set up. If you run a remote filter you might want to try a 50 pilot and a 115-120 main.

Simon
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

The CamLam spec is pretty rich on atomiser and needle combo but this is probably influenced by them running Varitronic advance/retard ignitions, which gives better fuel burn and increased temps (cooled by adjusted jetting). If you apply this jetting to static timing then it might have a harder job burning it off at low revs.

Try it and see... starting rich is not a problem.

Adam
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Adam_Winstone wrote:The CamLam spec is pretty rich on atomiser and needle combo but this is probably influenced by them running Varitronic advance/retard ignitions, which gives better fuel burn and increased temps (cooled by adjusted jetting). If you apply this jetting to static timing then it might have a harder job burning it off at low revs.

Try it and see... starting rich is not a problem.

Adam
Agree
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Noplastic

Thanx for replying , if it wont be spluttering in the mid range or having problems revving from the idle up, i'll keep it like this. you made a good point regarding the varitronic, i will run a static ignition, i will let you know as soon as the scooter is ready to go. for now i'm still restoring the indian restoration! :shock: :? :evil:
Noplastic

Hi again...2 questions about the phbh ...

1. the throttle cable doesnt spring back to the starting position, why? I also tried to loop it from the kickstart side cause like someone on the forum said should make the throttle action smoother but it's even worse, at least following the standard routing sometimes works almost ok. Sometimes...

2. i have the problem that the nipple on the slide side doesnt enter the 90 degrees cable adjuster so i had to file it to make it pass through it, is that normal?

Any suggestion?
Special X
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special 230cc

I'd suggest that there will indeed be spluttering in the midrange. An X2 needle only really works with an AS atomiser. AV 266/X13 will be ok. Main 125 rrest OK as above but might be a tad rich at tickover and transition, if so try a 50 idle.
Noplastic

Thanks, i'll make a "jet" order to try these other combinations.. but before i need to know if the throttle cable is supposed to spring back to its position or if it normally stays where it is when accelerating? First time with a phbh..is there any tip or trick to make it work properly or i have to live with that? i cut the cable to the right lenght, put the nipple at the headset wheel, adjusted with the adjuster but it still not returning to its position...
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

It's one of those things, some say it should automatically shut, others say it should stay open. Imagine you're about to pull out to overtake make a hand signal and the throttle shuts?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Noplastic

i see... personally i prefer the auto shut but since i can't make it work like i want then i'll keep it this way . At least now i know i'm not the only one :) Thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information