changing px cat exhaust

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ducksta

mate got a standard px125 with the cat exhaust which has started to rot, can he just remove said item and replace with any after market exhaust or will he after alter jetting timing etc.
live life your a long time dead
Bifter
Main scooter: vespa p210

All depends what he replaces it with ,if its like for like then no but if you put an expansion pipe on then best to go up at least 2 but plug chops are your friend
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Not touched a new PX, but will the CDI unit not have a restriction on it. I know some of the 125 motorcycles have the CDI restricted and was just wanting to put that forward. I may be wrong.
rapido230
Main scooter: vespa 210 & lambretta gp

Yeah the cdi is restricted to 7k revs I think on new 125s, so better off changing it
Philbutt
Main scooter: Vespa PX125

What does the restricted CDI look like. Mines a 51 plate px125 with a blue CDI unit. Would this be restricted and if you can change em what am I looking for. Just about to put a DR180 kit on mine.
rapido230
Main scooter: vespa 210 & lambretta gp

That's an earlier 125 so cdi should be ok, it's the late heavy catalysed 125s which have a restricted cdi
carlosfandangles

got a mate that needs to do it - didnt realise he had a cat exhaust on - is there anything to be done at carb end - or just straight swap and re jet if necessary
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

The new CDIs have a waterproof multi plug connection different to the Ducati type . Readspeed sell the derestricted one but not cheap
mikeveslam
Main scooter: lambretta li 185

Will need up jetting even with a std exhaust put on it.
I had a 2008 px and fitted a genuine std. Non cat pipe went up to a 98 main, also changed other jets but can't rem sizes off hand(look on the lml forum there is a link to the scootering article and all the jet sizes are on it)
Also drilled a 5mm and 3mm hole in filter above jets and up jetted main to 100.
This made a big difference pulled really strongly through gears and topped out at 60 mph +++
Cheers mike
Spider

So if I get a new PX125 / 150 and I want to put a kit on, I have to change the CDI too? Reason I'm asking is I plan on doing this!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information