Indian 12 volt ac stator, Repair and conversion...

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
J1MS

Bought a brand new SIL engine..

As can be seen the static timing marks are well out by some 5 degrees or more....This will be strobed when rebuilt with new timing marks...

The picture below.. the stator appears to be in good condition...but what cant be seen is the earth tags on the stator plate are all loose they can be spun with fingertips.. even though, the Impedence on the multimeter is correct... :?

With the stator removed it is easier to see the loose rivets.....they should be knocked much flatter and the tags should be secure..

After stripping the stator down to a bare assembly its easier to secure the rivets without damaging any of the electrics...The picture below shows one rivet secured "lower middle" the other four are still loose the differance can be seen easily...

The next photo shows all rivets secured and all earth tags tight and no longer able to be turned...

Next all bobbins replaced and inter connecting wires adjusted to work on 12 volt dc conversion...Now there is no earth at the stator for the lighting coils....and the lighting coils are going to be wired as two pairs....not four coil in series as original...

With the two pairs of coils back in place wiring repositioned and the connections in place I now re-fit the LT coil and pick-up....Note... The LT coil needs to be secured into place prior to the final the fit of the lighting coil to the right of the LT coil, as it cant fit on afterwards...

all wires now re-soldered and to a higher standard than original....and the rivets can be clearly seen...Now tight...

From the front it can be seen how these are wired....I have used different colour wires to join the lighting coils....Making it easier for you to follow..... the black and red wire's..... these are the wires that join the two pairs of coils in parallel....

Viewed from the back the wires that join the two sets of coils in parallel....

I have placed this here and tried to make it as easy to follow as I can. Its a conversion I have used on a few of my own scooters. Its a cheap way of getting 12 volt dc from a standard Indian and also explains why so many original Indian stators fail or burn out slowly....Hope this is of some use... 8-)

This conversion wires up the same as the 12 volt dc conversion ( points model) in the Lambretta manual and uses a Bridge rectifier and Lucas 12 volt Zenor diode.... And having a wiring diagram in the manual makes it an easy fit to a standard Lambretta....
shocky

serious question ;how much to do mine like that but with a new low tension coil and new black box both need to be italian really ,as i have some misfire probs with my scoot and ive checked/replaced everything else also want DC for my HID light conversion
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information