TS1 Options to making a hole in the panel?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Supereibar

Hello peeps, just sourced a TS1 and it is going in. Why not.. In ten years I have never ridden anything other than standard admission engines, so a bit more power to the small screamer that I am building will surely be very nice to handle. Here is my question. I have sourced a nice set of SX type yellow ochre sidepannels. Hens' teeth these days, and I wanted to fit them on the scoot with the TS1. I know that I will probably want to fit a power jet to it. What options do I have out there to have air induction other than drilling a hole on the pannel?...

J.
Supereibar

are you running a power jet Eden? What is the make of the filter?
Supereibar

UNI filter? Its Indian???
Supereibar

It says it is not fit for a TS1...
Muttley McLadd

Supereibar wrote:I have sourced a nice set of SX type yellow ochre sidepannels. Hens' teeth these days, and I wanted to fit them on the scoot with the TS1.
Do you ever plan to sell them? If not, the value and rarity is a moot point.
CakeAndArseParty
coaster

Hi Jaimie, I don't pretend to know anything about TS1's but I believe the problem is as Eden says, i.e. not enough panel clearance. But I think the fitting of a Jimmers manifold will allow the fitting of a filter as it is shorter. Hopefully someone with definate knowledge will be along to confirm (or not :? )

Eden, can I ask what carb that is and the diameter of the mouth ?

Cheers

Colin
Supereibar

Muttley McLadd wrote:
Supereibar wrote:I have sourced a nice set of SX type yellow ochre sidepannels. Hens' teeth these days, and I wanted to fit them on the scoot with the TS1.
Do you ever plan to sell them? If not, the value and rarity is a moot point.
I had them hanging in my office for a month, just to stare at them as when someone hangs a hunting trophee on the wall... If I can't do anything with them, I'll just hang them again :lol:
GP Kevo
Main scooter: 1969 150 DL / GP225 TS1

I ran an Evergreen rubber elbow filter thing on my GP200 with TS1 230. The side panel pressed in on the rubber elbow and if I quickly opened the throttle to WOT it sometimes sucked in the rubber even more and was almost as if the choke was on. The filter fitted perfectly between the fuel tank and the tool box (2nd fuel tank in this case). TMX 35mm on MB TS1 intake manifold, V-Force reed block:

I've tried everything, from mesh screens over the carb belmouth, to MB flat Ram Air filters, to the Evergreen rubber elbow remote filter. Next, I'm giving this a try:

It's much simpler on my street racer. I use a big Uni filter sticking out the hole in the side panel ;-)

Btw, Uni is an American company that produces high performance air filters for motorcycles and cars and is a competitor to K&N.

UNI is an Indian company that makes parts for Lambrettas.
JINX

What if you could use a pancake style filter? I picture it sitting right on the carb mouth, so that its top surface was just inside the panel. The sq/in area of the circumference of a good sized one should be adequate for breathing, right?

I have just looked at K&N, they have a wide selection. Here is one that would potentially fit, depending on your carb choice.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... od=RC-0850

If you read the specs, you can see that the hook up diameter to the bellmouth is 62, which is what a Mikuni TMX35mm is. At 2 inches of height, this should fit without panel touch. And, at 5 inches in OD, it should give enough air for a ts1.

I dunno, but it looks good to me. Perhaps there is advice from someone who has tried this. Is the filter material here not as good as foam? Does it clog up with spitback?
RICSPEED

I had exatly that filter ... It was good enough for an 1100 fiesta ... Fitted it to a 180 runner in the end
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information