panel hole and airscoop

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
DaveTomo
Main scooter: SX 200

Thinking about putting a hole in my side panel and then fitting an airscoop over the top,running a delly 30 open mouth with a tea strainer filter at the moment.Scoot runs OK,but quite fancy the look of this ,seen it on I think some old 60's/70's scooters and probably 80's as well.Never run a scoot with a hole in the panel before so a bit dubious,but I seem to remember somebody on here saying without it its like running down the street with your hand over your mouth.I take it the carb settings would stay the same as its getting fresh air as oppose to getting hot air in to the carb like it does at the moment.Any pitfalls to look out for? for example p*ssing down with rain is it going to just channel the water straight into the carb? The only picture I could find of what I mean,as always any advice gratefully received.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.
molibdimum

One of the lads in our club has done this.

Ill try and get some pics tonight and ask him if its given him any issues.
Muttley McLadd

Wouldn't you be better off knocking a dent (carefully) in your panel to space it out a bit? Your carb would have a bit more room to breath, and it wouldn't look as if you'd stuck an airscoop on the side.
CakeAndArseParty
DaveTomo
Main scooter: SX 200

molibdimum wrote:One of the lads in our club has done this.

Ill try and get some pics tonight and ask him if its given him any issues.
Cheers :fb:
Muttley McLadd wrote:Wouldn't you be better off knocking a dent (carefully) in your panel to space it out a bit? Your carb would have a bit more room to breath, and it wouldn't look as if you'd stuck an airscoop on the side.
I know what you mean Muttley its just an idea ,been mulling it over for a while now,also been in touch with Chas Speed Fabs so may go down that route yet.Either way theres going to be a hole in the panel
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.
molibdimum

Didnt get out tonight.

Feckin scooter wouldn't start but Ill try and get some pics and feedback for you later.
ferritt

you would have to check the jetting if your engine is getting more / cooler air, could make it run lean.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Surely the old air scoop idea was to direct air into the flywheel to, in theory, help cool the engine. The carb doesn't need air blown straight into it, it sucks air in :?
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

But it's better if it can suck fresh / cool air rather than hot air from under the panels especially if you're not sucking through the filter box.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

True. But a hole in the panel would suffice without the scoop.
coaster

storkfoot wrote:True. But a hole in the panel would suffice without the scoop.
Agreed and looks better imho, the only advantages I can see are that it might prevent spitback blowing backwards over passengers leg and if a foam filter was used it might keep the rain off a bit while parked.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information