Some advice

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
L4Lambretta

i'd like to do a budget upgrade to my series 1 using the following items;

175cc conversion piston
GP 150 barrel (bored & polished).
TV 175 head
20mm carb
New 150 crank
Ancilloti clubman exhaust
variatronic (or maybe a relaibale 12v system)

Will this improve performance at all? are their any forsseable probs? (ie exhaust fitting on this set up etc)I understand that I'll need the new crank & flywheel (i have a serveta 150 flywhell here).

Please don't tell me to buy a kit, i can't afford it.

cheers
L
joespeed

here is how i would improve,
1.for better acceleration and little more top end rebore to 175cc,
2.for better lights and starting change to gp style crank,indian flywheel and stator plate set up
3.fit clubman exhaust
i think that will have soaked up about £300
if your budget is very low try a good clubman on its own,ebay could be a good place to try.
for the 175 conversion i would leave the crank alone it will cope with a modest form of tuning,
regards
joe
L4Lambretta

Thanks for your reply Joe, but I thought I had to change the crank on a series 1 because of the stroke? Also, why an Indian flywhell in particular?

cheers

L
Ian Hepworth

L4Lambretta wrote:Thanks for your reply Joe, but I thought I had to change the crank on a series 1 because of the stroke? Also, why an Indian flywhell in particular?

cheers

L
The stroke is the same on a Series 1. What needs thinking about is the crank and mag housing combo, the flywheel bearing is lubricated by the petroil mix and the fact that Innocenti changed that on later models speaks volumes.
cezeta

[quote="
Please don't tell me to buy a kit, i can't afford it.

cheers
L[/quote]

before you spend do you sums, new piston and re bore then polishing may cost the same as an ali 185 kit from some of the dealers. don't just buy from ebay as they don't work properly.

there is also a sil 200 barrel on the market now that lets you run a sil 200 barrel on smaller casings.

regards cranks, dont buy indian, buy a 60mm mec crank. it will last for ever and 99 pound is good value. the torque it adds to a standard motor is well appreciated.

all im saying is dont rush in to saving money before doing the maths as in 6 months time you may still be disapointed with not being able to keep up with nissan micras driven by the elderly and will end up paying out again.

we did a povo tune for dan starstream, 60mm crank standard sil barrel and piston and head (removed from another engine to fit a pricey kit) 22mm jetex, ram air filter and fresco pipe.

total cost = 99 pound for the crank + 22 pound for the carb. total 101 pounds. the rest was scrounged. it can be done :P
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

there is also a sil 200 barrel on the market now that lets you run a sil 200 barrel on smaller casings.

Can you point me in the direction of these? Are they genuine 200cc barrels with 125/150/175 stud spacing, that will take a rebore to 225 or simply overbored (and therefore extremely thin walled) 150's?

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
cezeta

http://www.scooteressentials.co.uk/ will answer better than me but as i understand it its a stage 4 200 kit but with 150 stud spacing and reduced spiggot.

add a 60mm crank and 22mm jettex and there is a great poverty tune. :bouncing: danstarstreams 200 casings version goes really well.
joespeed

l4lambretta,
where are you situated?dont be shy there will be a good dealer or scooterist that can help out,
ive done loads of cheap budget jobs for customers as well as doing sound repairs/bodge ups for myself,
if the series 1 engine is healthy,then spend your money wisely
1.clubman exhaust, it will always be a good investment!
2.175/185 conversion
3.carb and manifold
there are lots of bits out there s/hand,
the series1 crank assembly will be ok as a start,then when funds allow you can upgrade to a good crank,maghousing,etc
keep smiling see you at scarborough!
regards
joe
L4Lambretta

Sorry guys, but thanks for the replies and the logic therein. i should have said im in Australia, there's some talented amatuers around the country (if I could get to them I would) but nothing like the service you have there.

Cezeta, absolutely take your point about doing sums, but once you factor in exchange rate, shipping costs (big)
and worse, parts suitability, it gets expensive. (50% of parts i've bought in the pat 5 years don't fit!).

However, this is my research stage and there's already good and wise suggestions. What ever happens, I reckon I definitley have to change the crank.

Just saw a beautiful GP ride by! not that common on the Gold Coast. Did I mention I live in Australia? (Melbourne actually)

cheers
L
joespeed

'WHERE YOU LIVE' was a question that i asked about some time ago,if you had stated on your heading(the bit where your name comes up)would have save a lot of time and makes sense,
sorry l4lambretta not having a go at you ,just feel that this is the first thing that return posters should know to get a speedy and correct response,but shot to pieces one again,
have fun,we will not see you at scarborough then?
regards
joe
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information