Weight of AF flywheel in BGM elec ignition kit

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dansuper
Main scooter: 1963 LI 185

Hi all,

I'm currently running a Casa 185 on an LI 125 with stock electrics (points) and thinking of upgrading to the BGM electronic kit. I'm interested to know whether the lighter flywheel will noticeably impact the idle speed.

I presume as the Casa is torquey, this should help me - and of course I won't gain the ultimate benefit of the light flywheel as it's not a revvy cylinder.

Just want to know if there are any downsides to the above configuration - opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
nelson pk

If your talking about running the BGM stator with the AF flywheel, BGM do not recommend using the stator with the AF flywheel.
cezeta

a lightened Indian flywheel is nicer anyway
Muttley McLadd

Which bits have you already got?

I've got a BGM 120w stator and 2kg flywheel that came from Beedslow. Shipped, it was just over AU$300. It's been on my GT kit now for about 8000km, without incident.

Tickover isn't exceptionally fast. Anything between 1000 and 1200 rpm.
CakeAndArseParty
dansuper

Muttley McLadd wrote:Which bits have you already got?

I've got a BGM 120w stator and 2kg flywheel that came from Beedslow. Shipped, it was just over AU$300. It's been on my GT kit now for about 8000km, without incident.

Tickover isn't exceptionally fast. Anything between 1000 and 1200 rpm.
Thanks - I don't have anything, which is why I was thinking the kit would be the best/cheapest option. I'm actually trying to work out if the Beedspeed package is the same as the one sold via SCK - they cost about the same shipped.

The flywheels look different in the pics, although they're both listed as AF - but neither mention the weight in the description. I keep reading about 1400 gram
AF flywheels, which is a world away from my 2600 gram original.

Presume I could specify a weight if I ordered from Beedspeed?

Cheers.
Muttley McLadd

Not sure..

It's definitely not an AF one though. I have one of those as well.. and they're not the same.

I changed my AF one to this one on my GT. No visible difference to the performance, apart from it goes up hills better now.

I didn't think my AF one was exceptionally light. I've run lighter..
CakeAndArseParty
dansuper

nelson pk wrote:If your talking about running the BGM stator with the AF flywheel, BGM do not recommend using the stator with the AF flywheel.
But on the SCK site they specifically mention an AF flywheel as part of their kit, with their stator?

http://www.scooter-center.com/scoweb/pa ... egory2=CAT

:?
nelson pk

Just had a look. Your absolutely right, its definitely an af flywheel!
I know they improved the BGM stator on version 2 so perhaps they will now run with an AF flywheel but it is well known that when they first come out there were all sorts of issues with people running an AF flywheel.
For that sort of money i'd be tempted to go varitronic......1.8kg flywheel and automatic retard thrown in.
I must admit I have had 2 AF flywheels and in my opinion they are a bit too light for some engines. They can be great on a reed motor but i've found them to be a little too light for piston port engines. Poor tickover etc.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

The scooter center kit uses the AF 1.4 KG flywheel (that's the one that MB say isn't compatible with the BGM stator), the Beedspeed one is the standard type SIL flywheel but lightened to 2 KG. Std SIL flywheel is 2.7 KG.
AF Rayspeed refer to this flywheel as the mid-weight version.
dansuper

corrado wrote:The scooter center kit uses the AF 1.4 KG flywheel (that's the one that MB say isn't compatible with the BGM stator
Is that the misfire at 6000 rpm issue? What exactly do they say is not compatible?

Cheers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information