Peak EGT Temperatures

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

What are the highest temperatures that you're running at and on what top end set up?
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

I think it could be misleading to talk about peak temperatures. I've seen my Koso read 731 deg C on my Mugello 186 with PHBH 28 and JL3, but after re-jetting and testing the max now is usually <635 deg C.

What you want to watch is sustained high temperatures. I keep an eye on it when it starts to go over 600 and then vary the throttle up or down to cool the piston.

Don't forget it is critical how far the probe is positioned away from the piston skirt, mine is 100mm.

I also have a Stage 6 EGT fitted to a Mugello 186 with a Mikuni TM24 and a Clubman which only got up to 484 deg C hammering it all the way back from Exmouth :)

HTH

Cheers,

Nigel
soulsurfer

Yeah, I think the key to using EGT gauges is to set, or get set, up your motor and note the normal temps for your motor. You can then use the EGT gauge to monitor any changes. There are too many variables with our motors to give a definitive temp range, such as make/type of guage, probe used and distance for probe fitment.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
Bilko

Thanks for the replies.

Again, I don't put things across properly.

I think what I was trying to say was, what sort of average temps at the top end of the scale are you getting.
Bilko's Oily Blog

soulsurfer

But that's the point I was making Bilko, I have one gauge that'll say 600°F whilst on the same bike with another gauge would say 700°F. That's why you need to set your motor up correctly and use the temperature readings as your benchmark, should anything change out of the norm would indicate a possible problem with say, air intake, poor fuel etc. I could say 650°f and you ride along merrily and then hole your piston, my 650°F on my motor with my gauge was therefore meaningless.

I hope I've explained this well enough :-?
Bilko

You have Mike.

I get what you mean now, thanks for explaining.
Bilko's Oily Blog

soulsurfer

Bilko wrote:You have Mike.

I get what you mean now, thanks for explaining.
In that case, why aren't I on the beers list??? :lol:
Bilko

You would be only I can't add any more to my signature! I'll have to think of a new way of making the list.
Bilko's Oily Blog

coaster

I've just fitted a budget EGT and have been out for a 20 mile blast to see what readings I get. At around 54-56 mph it's reading 550 degrees but at 40-50 mph it's 600 :? over 60 mph it shot up to about 725 and as I had a nip up the other week at that speed I backed off (I have up jetted since then).
I appreciate what has been said about each gauge and installation being different, but I'd was thinking that there MIGHT be something to be gleaned from other's readings if only to get an idea if my gauge is grossly inacurate. On tickover (1000 rpm) after a run it drops and holds at 320, that's a gap of 405 degrees. I was wondering if the ratio between a steady tickover temp and a safe maximum working temp would be reasonably constant? Any thoughts?

Based on my run, I'll try raising the needle one clip and go up another size on the main.
Last edited by coaster on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soulsurfer

Col, don't get too hung up on it, it's an indication of what your motor's doing after its been set up to run properly, plug chops are your guide. Speed is irrelevant, it's throttle position and load that will alter temps. Is it an analogue gauge? I have one that reads around 100degC higher than my quality digital setup yet both motors are set up spot on by the same person. That's not to say yours is the same, you must set the motor first to achieve your datum with your gauge. I hope this helps ;-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information