New engine mounts - vibration.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
a.j

Fitted/replaced new engine large italian mounts last night & although the ride has firmed up nicely it vibrates badly when the throttle is half open. Any ideas chaps?
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Firstly, have you got the void holes pointing in the right directions? If Yes, then you could try loosening off the engine bolt nyloc nuts by a quarter to half a turn, as sometimes when tightened right up, the vibration is transmitted through the frame. It may just be that at half throttle, the harmonics of the vibration are at their peak, and once above or below this throttle range the vibration eases/disappears. What type of grips do you have fitted? Some (Sundance) have a tendency to transmit vibration more, and changing to some type of foam coated grips may help.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
a.j

I checked the holes. Bottom one at 6 o clock & the other 2 facing fwds. Tried loosening 1/4 to a 1/2 a turn, even put new tank rubbers in. Still badly vibrating. I'm wondering if its the mounts themselves, maybe faulty? I bought them from Howard Chambers & it says 'Italian' on the rubber. Its vibrating really badly, the inside legshield spare wheel holder shakes & the brake & clutch lever rattle like buggery too.
joee

can you move the engine in the frame? if you grab the back wheel and can see movement between the casing and the frame i'd say your cones are knackered,...

chris sturgess has got exactly the same thing on a customers bike...you owe him a pint
randall ate my dog!!

no one likes us we dont care
a.j

Nope - all seems solid enough. I'll check tuesday though when I get the mounting tool off my mate.
joee

a.j wrote:Nope - all seems solid enough. I'll check tuesday though when I get the mounting tool off my mate.

dunno then...but i know someone who has exactly the same problem using the same mounts...if there's no movement ,

is the engine bar tight?
could be an engine problem?
randall ate my dog!!

no one likes us we dont care
a.j

It all went in as it should mate. I reckon dodgy mounts.
GP240

My GP (TS225) has started vibrating thru floorboards too, mate reckons mag side bearing.

New engine mounts not been in long, will check it out later in the week n get back.
Old Lambretta's never die, they get tuned..................
mark

Is the centre tube of mount the only thing touching the frame or cone, years ago I had a set of mounts tha the outer side of monut case protruded thru enough to touch the frame I always check this now
ratty
Main scooter: LI ser3 125 {TS1 230} 1963

had the same problem last week,changed mounts still the same. it was only when my scoot died on the way to skeg this weekend the stator packed up! new stator fitted and all the vibrations have gone,was the stator breaking down up the rev range that caused the problems,worth a try mate.
how much!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information