JL pipes

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

I asked on the other site but its very quite at the mo
Got a series 3 JL pipe that has been welded one time to many so got a new one for my Imola kit, so thought I would try it on my Muggy kitted seres 1
I thought it would fit at the top end but be no good for the rear runner but its way out from the stub back.
It was the old shape JL and always hung low, hence having to weld the bloody thing, (the new one is a much better fit on the imola)
I may also have one of the muggy kits that may have problems with the exhaust port (my 2 part downpipe with Ancillotti fitted fine)
The stub seems to kick forward and I trimmed both the stub and the end of the pipe by around 5 mm just to get it high enough to get one bolt into the front bracket, (holes elongated and opened up to get it lower)
The rear can is also way out.
So I know my pipe is a little out of shape after its many welds, but is a series 2 pipe that different from a series 3 one?

Ignoring the fitting issues its transformed the muggy kit so would like a pipe that works the same as a the JL BUT fits

Would prefer not to loose the last 2 inches of rear runner or I could go for a JL snail, I wondered how they fit, what do they hang onto? flywheel, cowling bolts? What about ground clearance?
Any under kickstart options available?
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Club night and been told that their was a batch of muggy kits that have not been machined deep enough into the barrel making the stub and pipe to low by 1/2 inch. Mine definitely kicks forward again stopping the pipe from meeting the first 2 brackets. Ive been told that someone is making a modified stub?
Someone wants to try my JL out to see if it helps his lack of power (I wished I could find a soft try before you buy guy, before I spend my hard earned) anyway I don't mind making the old one fit but begrudge having to do the same on a new one.
Any info on modified stubs appreciated
Monty
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

hi monty
I had a right game fitting my JL3 to a Muggy v2. It wasn't the JL at fault, but the Mugello exhaust port casting. I had to make a custom bracket in the end [even after Jim Lomas kindly sent me a modified one]
Good combination, once you get it to fit though!
Nigel
eibargum
Main scooter: Vespa PX210 Polini

A little bit off topic i know, but another pipe that works well on the muggy is the siagon scooters Fresco copy, not a perfect fit but at around £80 i dont mind a bit of fettleing, infact i only paid £60 new for mine from wickstead parts fair a few years back, a very solid pipe which produces 14.6 bhp on my 200 V2 compared to 11bhp with a KBA. If you can pick one up for the right money give it a try.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information