Re: 12V DC CONVERSION - HOW TO

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Have bitten the bullet and converted my old AF AC stator as above and bought the wassel rectifier.

Here's the questions -

What's the smallest battery (capacity and physically) you can get away with? I have no battery tray and really don't want a huge lump in my toolbox. No real toys intended just steadier lights / horn, maybe a gauge.
Is there really an advantage to having a battery other than stuff working when the engine isn't running?
Are there any other good options / solutions for mounting a battery?

I currently have an inside legshield spare but am thinking of putting in a toolbox there and moving the spare to a flat rear with a sprint on top or an old style serveta rear rack, which might mean the toolbox battery is an option.

Thoughts?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
soulsurfer

A 1.2Ah will suffice giving a stable voltage and better horn ;-)
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
coaster

The DC conversion WILL work without a battery and you can just fit a small capacitor instead of a battery if any of you gadgets require a steady DC feed. But a battery is needed if you want to run spots, a decent horn or as you have mentioned, allow your lights to cobntinue working without the engine running. The later imho cannot be overstated if you are in the habit of using you scoot at night. Imagine a nip up on a motorway whilte overtaking, bad enough in the daylight but if you lights go out too as soon as you grab the clutch :shock: Batteries can be as small as 1 Amp per hour, have a look in Maplin to chec the size and then buy one from ebay, somewhere around £5 I would think. Small batteries can be mounted in nooks and crannies, I think Mark has his fitted above the rear mudgaurd.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Something like this?

Seems about the smallest one I can find and not any for a fiver!
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
vRSG60
Main scooter: Lambretta Li125 Lambretta GP20

coaster wrote:The DC conversion WILL work without a battery and you can just fit a small capacitor instead of a battery if any of you gadgets require a steady DC feed. But a battery is needed if you want to run spots,
Can you elaborate as to why? I was hoping a direct DC feed from a 5 pin regulator like this to my, as yet unused, light connections on my key switch would illuminate a spot light.
I get my kicks out on the floor.
soulsurfer

That regulator won't put out enough DC voltage to power spotlights, it's only a trickle charge sufficient for guages only, you need the full conversion to run anything like spots, even with LED bulbs ;)
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
vRSG60

soulsurfer wrote:That regulator won't put out enough DC voltage to power spotlights, it's only a trickle charge sufficient for guages only, you need the full conversion to run anything like spots, even with LED bulbs ;)
Bugger, but it would trickle charge to top up a battery that could be used to power the lights for occasional use?
coaster

vRSG60 wrote:....would trickle charge to top up a battery that could be used to power the lights for occasional use?
Yes, that's what I meant in my previous post and this is the sort of battery I meant

You may find them a coiple of pounds cheaper if you do a search on Google for Alarm Batteries. If you use your spots fairly regularly you can always give the battery a trickle charge from a battery charger from time to time to keep it topped up if the charge from the regulator can't cope.
vRSG60

coaster wrote:
vRSG60 wrote:....would trickle charge to top up a battery that could be used to power the lights for occasional use?
Yes, that's what I meant in my previous post and this is the sort of battery I meant

You may find them a coiple of pounds cheaper if you do a search on Google for Alarm Batteries. If you use your spots fairly regularly you can always give the battery a trickle charge from a battery charger from time to time to keep it topped up if the charge from the regulator can't cope.
Kool & The Gang :D :D

Edit - 1.2A is that enough? Not sure on LED wattage but - 12V x 1.2A = 14.4 Watts
Fitted my new regulator and the DC contact is putting out just less than 6V. Half wave I guess. Can a 12V battery be trickle charged with 6V?
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

It seems to have been established now that the SIP digital speedo's rev counter will not work with this Wassel DC conversion. Does anyone have a solution, or a tweak to the system which would give an RPM pulse? :?: :?: :?:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information