Which 175 kit?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
djh66
Main scooter: 150 special

When I get round to rebuilding my Li150 S2 engine, I'm going to upgrade to a 175 kit, but which one do I go for and why? A cast one, or an alloy one?
Help and advice please :roll:
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

steel lined alloy 185 kit from Ebay

Cheap as chips and as long as you're prepared to do some tidying up, they're very good value for money.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
nickw1969

bristolmod wrote:steel lined alloy 185 kit from Ebay

Cheap as chips and as long as you're prepared to do some tidying up, they're very good value for money.

Chris

What do you mean by "tidying up" Chris.

Thinking of getting one myself - what sort of carb would I need with a 185 kit? I take it the 18mm that came with the scooter wouldnt be any good?

Cheers
Nick
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Get one of the alloy 175 kits from AF Rayspeed, they've already had the "tidying up" done. Plus it'll have been checked out that the liner is actually in line and the head matches.
bristolmod

Generally make sure:-

1) piston to bore clearance is OK (on a steel lined alloy, I've gone down to 3 thou with no problems)

2) The inlet and exhaust ports are reasonably tidy (I use a Black and Decker band sander believe it or not!!)

3) all studs are "studloked" in place

What I've started doing is get hold of just the steel lined alloy cylinder and then got a 200cc piston (66mm) - Scooter Restorations around £30

Give this to your reborer and ask him to bore and hone to suit (I ask for 3 thou as above on these set ups)

Widen the exhaust port to approx 65% of bore. Raise port by 1mm.

Source a 175/185 head and get this reprofiled to the 66mm piston crown

I've used a cheap 22 mm Jetex jeted as for a GP200 (123 main jet etc)

Finally a 42mm Clubman

Correctly set up and jetted I've had them cruice nicely at 65.

The whole lot is not a lot of cash compared with other kits available such as Casa and Mugello, plus you've got the satisfaction of doing your own thing. Please note that in no way am I some sort of tuning "guru"- I just like having a play to see what can be achieved- if it doesn't work, you've not lost a lot.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
shocky

harry barlow does a very nice kit for around £180 and its been sorted and that inc a head reprofile porting etc plus some jetting advice
use the search function for his details
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
bristolmod

shocky wrote:harry barlow does a very nice kit for around £180 and its been sorted and that inc a head reprofile porting etc plus some jetting advice
use the search function for his details
thats excellant value! And you know if HB's been involved its good

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
djh66
Main scooter: 150 special

Thanks chaps, I may go down the Harry Barlow route, it pays to follow good advive :D
Anyone know how I can contact him? web etc.
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
shocky

http://www.proporting.com/contact.htm
might take some time he doesnt answere his fone much but when he does be prepared to listen and listen and listen
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information