New SIL Lambretta engines

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

If you want them then they're going to cost £375 ex works!!

Here's the reply to my request for a price for a minimum of 100 units- you'll need to factor in carriage back to UK; Some sort of Import Duty to Uk and probably some sort of export duty from India.....

"Dear Mr. Powell,

Please refer your e-mail date-10.11.09, regarding the cost of Engine Assy. Lambretta 200cc,

The F.O.B. price at Mumbai for each Engine Assy. shall be GB£ 375.00 (G.B. Pound Three hundred seventy five only) if order to be placed for a min. qty.-100 nos. The supply of Engine shall be made only against full receipt of payment in advance. On receipt of your confirmed order and other relevant details required for import condition. The necessary Proforma Invoice with detailed terms of supply shall be sent to you for doing the needful.

Thanking You

R.K. Dhiman

AM (Exp)"

any dealer up for it??
Scootering since 1968.
red
Main scooter: Scomadi TL 250 (Ltd Ed No.3)

Anybody out there got a spare £40,000 including all charges.

No,didn't think so :)
I do not try to explain why I ride Lambrettas,
For those who understand, no explanation is necessary,
For those who don't, no explantion is possible.
red

PeteSR wrote:remember + shipping + duty (3.7%) then on top of all of that + vat (15%) thats about £7000 extra - without shipping :shock:

Ok,anybody got a spare £50,000+ :D

Not me.

Whip round anyone :D :D :D :D :D
joee

Whip round anyone :D :D :D :D :D[/quote]

here we go again!! ok i'm in!
randall ate my dog!!

no one likes us we dont care
sean brady scooters
Dealer

then factor in charges to deliver stock of engines from the dock to your premises,storage charges,plus advertising costs etc to sell them,and minus approx 10% as right offs ,cos they have been dropped and damaged in transit........ :lol:

not to mention that say 25% of them will be returned to you as faulty anyway :shock:
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
joespeed

by the time these arrive at your door they will cost nearer £500 each,iv'e got some but remember the dealers are not doing this because they like you,there is a mark up and thats what is called 'retailing' most dealers are selling the sil engine at £600 plus,
regards
joe
red

Look at this one on Ebay

£888.89!!! :o

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lambretta-GP200-C ... 3efa0df3b9
100mphlambrettaclub
Dealer

Your forgeting one important thing there crap. I was offered them on many occasions by various suppliers from India and the mark up was good but i knew the quality off them was poor so i would be ripping off the customer by selling them. Just the bare cases on their own is a different thing all together have you asked them about that.
RinB
Main scooter: Reflections in Blue

100mphlambrettaclub wrote:Your forgeting one important thing there crap. I was offered them on many occasions by various suppliers from India and the mark up was good but i knew the quality off them was poor so i would be ripping off the customer by selling them. Just the bare cases on their own is a different thing all together have you asked them about that.
Totally agree Iv done a fare few for people got full engines cheap then had too strip
Crank, bearings, seals, clutch out etc

Have tried just to import Crankcase, Maghousing Sidecasing with just gearbox ie gears, layshaft, dog, selector etc.

But they werent intrested. :x

Smiffy
If its made of Metal Fettle it !!
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

So to summarise:

£375 each, for a 100 minimum order?

£37500

I cant remember what an engine weighs, but they come in crates and i think its about 30kg.....so thats at least 3 tonnnes to ship from Inidia!! And the courier has to get those 3 tonnes from the factory to the Indian docks, then over on a ship, and then from UK docks to its final destination.

I'd hazard a guess and say that shipping would be about £2000 + VAT, so just say £2.5k for arguments sake.

You pay duty on cost of goods AND shipping, so 3.7% of £40000 is approx £1500, so now we are upto £41500

17.5% vat (thats what it will be in Jan again) takes it upto £48762

So cost price is about £490 per engine.....it takes about 2-3 months to ship, so you've laid out £40k-£50k and dont even get the goods for 2-3 months!! :lol: :lol: How s**t is that?

Then when they arrive, you pray that they are not f@@ked, and that nothing is missing or damaged.......but inevitably somthing will be wrong with some of them, and you will get some returns. So average out those losses/extra costs accross your consignment, and you have another 10-20% to add to each engine, so now an engine stands you at at least £550 a piece.

And now that you have been out of pocket for 2-3 months, to the tune of £40-£50k.....how are you selling these 100 engines?

Ebay and Paypal perhaps? Well then write off at least 10% for eBay charges and Paypal fees. And how many can you sell per week.....1? Maybe 2 if you are lucky? So you can sell them all in..........wait for it........1 year!! lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

And your profit margin? A standard trade discount in the UK might be 20%-40% depending on goods/supplier.....so to get just 20% you have to sell the engine for nearly £800.....pay the paypal/ebay fees, and recover your £550 outlay.....all for 20% profit.

You had to lay out £50k to get the goods, wait 2-3 months to recieve them, field customer enquiries/moans/returns on faulties, and spend a year selling them. You made 20% gross profit (if you are VERY lucky.....probably more like 10%) and then you have to pay your business rent, rates, staff, utilities, advertising, bank charges etc before you realize your net profit...........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds horrid to me, and some people moan when a dealer or trader sells an engine or a part for a few quid extra. :D

Just think.......translate the above equation, and think how much 'stuff' you would have to buy, and then sell.....to cover all of your costs/outlay just for the goods, and then pay all of you staff/business/advertisng/shipping costs.....before you then pay yourself only the average salary in the UK!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The figures are unbelievable.....and the volumes of stuff you have to shift is horrifying, not to mention the customer service you have to provide and fit into the equation.........its mind boggling! ;)
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information