Another RB bites the dust!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
tony
Main scooter: 90ss

And another one bites, another one bites....

Sponsors: Performance Tuning. Ve Uk. Scooter Center Koln. LTH . DRT
leigh

sean brady scooters wrote:take your rings off piston and check ring gap in bore...........if ring gap is excessive look at the rings more closely

and check that they are of a uniform depth all the way around............

you may find that they are far thinner on one side............

Changed my piston resently 4000 miles 3.5mm gap. looked to be pretty even wear to me

Leigh
odd mod squad

hello all

it seems the first few kits had problems with the platting over the exhaust port bridge.
some had a slight crack in the platting on the bridge, so coursing the alloy to warp,this in turn was putting pressure onto the piston coursing all said wear
also the the inlet fingure was lengthend to support the ring, and the platting and stud holes and piston were revised

it seems we all look for problems ,and sometimes its just us :!: ,we have set it up wrong or just thrashed the s**t out of it

if i remember correctly the first few kits were thrashed inches of their lives ,these were mostly test engines,the power was good but the above problems were raised and then corrected

i must say i love my rb and it goes well, but i run it rich and use a mbd piston, i do think there is a heat issue and its very important to get the fuel correct to keep the barrel cool but thats another story
100mphlambrettaclub
Dealer

Yep i was one of those responsible for thrashing those test kits infact kit number one,its still going stong 4500 miles later as we log all the miles it does. As for its condition well fine is the answer. I agree with you they are great kits and give you an adrenalin rush everytime you take it out. If anything is at fault i think they need setting up very accuratley any that i have seen with problems have been set up very poorley
J1MS

I have been looking up on the internet, trying to find what might have cased the failure of your RB. It seams poor quality fuel with a high Sulpher content can damage the Nikasil coating, but normally on higher milages.
Did you find any traces of abrasive in the fuel supply or other contaminates as far as the Stainless tank was to blame?
shocky

J1MS wrote:I have been looking up on the internet, trying to find what might have cased the failure of your RB. It seams poor quality fuel with a high Sulpher content can damage the Nikasil coating, but normally on higher milages.
Did you find any traces of abrasive in the fuel supply or other contaminates as far as the Stainless tank was to blame?
i was reading that about a monthago it was mainly BMW.s in america
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
sydduckett

What the fuc* is that above.... :o
shocky

mine
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
rbgaz
Main scooter: gp rb230 dragster 180lc

odd mod squad wrote:hello all

i have run a stainlees tank for three years,two on a ts1 and one on a rb with no trouble at all
yes i have stiped the engines down, i do this every year :(

the ts1 is ok no probs and the rb no probs,the trouble is they seem to suffer from the exhaust port warping and the inlet fingure being to small on ealy first issue barrels used with 60stroke cranks :?

the rb barrel in question is the second generation ,and i run a 60 stroke crank and mbd piston
is the piston the prob.is the ports the prob. is the crank the prob.is the barrel nick the prob ,the question goes on :shocking:
i have known several engines rb type to be destroyed.when they have cost over £2500 and the barrels have been tuned,does this help or does it course more probs with weak ports and lining
the barrel i have used is total standard part from the engine caseing matched to the transfer ports
mb piston
af crank welded
franspeed
tmx 35 and 1.3 squish and run it rich with augusto box no probs happy days ;)
u say early barrels mine is no 222 would this be one? with 60mm crank and blew two pistons to start with but no, one ever said it could be faulty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information