Tillotson carbs ?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
stageman

Just out of curiosity : Has anyone ever tried a tillotson carb (or any other exotic carb) on a TS 1 ? Can´t seem to remember seeing one except on the pride chop.

If so to what result, on a full frame did they fit under the panels ? Any info appreciated.

Cheers
mark

yes i used one on my chop (pride)and we now use the mikuni version on the dac engine . brill carb eith a butterfly valve not a slide so instant throttle response can be mounted at any angle as well . mikuni do loads of different sizes as well . if i ever put one on a ts1 i would use 28mm because of the way they work . you would have to adapt your manifold to fit and i would reccomend a primer instead of the choke .heres what they look like http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/sbn_manual.pdf
stageman

Thanks Mark. Must admit I still have no clue how these things work, will read it again later. Why is there a fuel pump built in ? Couldn´t u leave the pump and just have it gravity fed (course that won´t work with the DAC - engine, but on a TS 1?)
And how do u set up these carbs ? From what I remember though the tillotson carb looked quite a bit smaller (compared to the pics of the DAC - engined GP in current scootering) which would come in handy for use with a large tank, toolbox and panels without a hole cut for the carb. So what about the tillotson - I assume it´s still in use on the chop. What were your experiences, where do you get them + spares etc etc

Seem to remember that someone else (Richard Taylor ?) was also experimenting with these things - might be there is a downside or why are we all using the same Amal, Mikuni and Dellortos....

Greetz Frank
mark

built in fuel pump cos no float bowl, two adjusting screws one for low to mid mix and one for mid to hi mix, as for parts never needed any ,tillotsons are small but get exxpensive when you go over 20mm, mikunis are a much better carb and are fairly small as well
iMotors

I´ve got a couple of Mikunis and keihin from jetski as well as some mikuni from a Suzuki outboard from my years of working with small boats (actually i´m doing diesels) that when i´ll get a bit of free time will test in my lambretta.
Still wonder why people don´t use them...
mark

the carb is a 34mm and it measures 4"x5"
ukoldschool

Lots of historic karters runn tillys, although anything over 100cc and they all use twins......
coaster

ukoldschool wrote:Lots of historic karters runn tillys, although anything over 100cc and they all use twins......
Yes but those things rev to about 18k rpm :shock:
ukoldschool

nah not the historics. mine only goes to about 11k (villiers 210)
iMotors

I run a Parilla 100cc in my kart and use an IBEA carb, a bit better quality than a tillotson
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information