Dummies guide to checking port timings

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

Have finished preparing my engine casing to accept a 110 x 60 crank and would like some advice before I put it back together. One thing that I have never done is to check port timings - always assumed (rightly or wrongly) that because the top end was standard TS1, that the timings would be correct for standard form. Having had my top end tuned (MB stage 2) and now fitting a different size crank, I think it is high time that I learned how to do it.

Was wondering if one of you kind gents would point me in the direction of a dummies guide - or be able to explain to me how I go about measuring the port timings on my engine. I really want to get this engine put back together properly - measured, torqued, i's dotted and t's crossed and make the most of my engine. I've made a few school boy errors because of not asking and it has cost me :roll:

Many thanks in advance :D

Scott
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
DMC

Google it mate, loads of videos on youtube.
alanscottj

DMC wrote:Google it mate, loads of videos on youtube.
Thanks DMC - that's where I went in the end. Have managed to measure them now. Ex 190 and Trans 130 :D
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

so what is the outcome?Are they correct?
alanscottj

dave411 wrote:so what is the outcome?Are they correct?
Emailed MB who did the tune and he said they were spot on. They also give a blowdown of 30 which I think is very good (with the very limited knowledge that I have!). Will need a head gasket of about 2.5 to get a squish of 1.30 which I think is also ok.

First time I have ever bothered to measure timings and making sure everything is as it should be, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information