Will carb run at this angle?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Shipleystevep
Main scooter: Lambretta

Swapped a tired jetex for a 26mm delorto on my 186 mugello. I'm sure it sat better on the scooter I took it off although it had no toolbox. I need this toolbox, is there a better manifold for early mugello ?

Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

Steve I think you'll run into serious problems running like that, what toolbox is that as it don't look like the normal s2 or s3 one?
Donnie.
Shipleystevep

It's the original plastic box on my sx150
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Why not try fettling the choke adjuster by shortening the body and adjuster and then use a 90 degree elbow? You will need to alter the choke cable to compensate.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

put a 90dg bend on the choke and it should straighten up another inch
dennis
Main scooter: 1 gp 1 special

And do something with that banjo.
Solerunner1
Main scooter: GP 190

The two options I would try, which would be better than what you've got-

1- See if making a rubber mount manifold out of a SH2/22 manifold would help. That will keep things at a more stock angle (should be lower?). You can also cut the manifold to the length needed, and even cut it at a slight angle to alter where the carb sits. Angle cutting upsets air flow slightly, but it's better than what you've got. I doubt you'd notice any decrease in performance.

2 (far easier than 1)- Change your rubber boot to a suitable automobile radiator hose. First, the rubber will last practically forever. And if you get a "curly" type radiator hose, you can cut your rubber boot on one of the angles, and to length. A slightly angled radiator hose boot can swing the carb around to clear it from the toolbox. Also, this step in the intake (since the carb won't be tight to the manifold) will also upset high speed air flow, but again- I doubt you'd notice any drop in performance. I've done this many times over the years and i've never been able to tell the difference.
johnduke
Main scooter: lambretta series 2

Hi, if it was me i would replace plastic tool box with a metal one . Cut and weld and save your plastic box .
Shipleystevep

Thanks for the input, I'm fairly certain the main problem is with the manifold. I think I fitted one of the originals which I seem to remember were problematic. I've since found an AF manifold and a more recent mugello manifold. Plan is to try one of these together with a 90 degree cable adaptor when I get time.

Thanks much appreciated

Steve
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

90 degree elbow on a choke cable that loops outside and round in a nice wide curve, that will stand the carb upright, then turn that fuel banjo downwards, new decent fuel line with nice curve not a pinched tight bend

all parts to make the cables are available from venhill
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information