not happy with my old malossi 210

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Muttley McLadd

DRT do an even shorter fourth.
Anyone tried one?
CakeAndArseParty
ukpeckerwood
Main scooter: Vespa PX210

I have run lots of different malossi set ups over the years and got bored of the way you have to ride them. Got my self a polini and it so much better to ride, makes riding it a joy, so much torque. Im running a 220 with a 62mm crank, MB reed with a keihin 35mm Air striker. I have the BGN super strong cosa clutch that is plug and play and works very nice. It pulls a 24/65 gearing lovely. There is a bit of a difference in the transfer layout but I would just drop a Polinni on what you have and ride it.
MCH
Main scooter: street racer px

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:
Keep kit......but run a 60mm crank, reed valve and tour pipe.

The pipe is the heart of your machine, choose a pipe to suit your needs as opposed to hoping what you've got will somehow manifest into something it isn't.

The 60mm crank will bring up the transfer timing which is what the older kits lacked and which is what makes them so peaky.

The reed valve will bring up the bottom end and mid range power even further.

Does what it says on the tin.

I am willing to look at all the options,

so from the above what parts would you recommend, just want to price it up

i can build it myself then get it over to yourselves to dyno again :)
MCH

Imo the main problem is the gearing the gap between 3rd and 4th is to big. The t5 4th gear does not solve this that well. Change the primary to a px125 and put a 22 touth clutch in. This will keep you in the power and you can pull in 4th from 30mph to top speed. I talking from first hand experience and had a 210 on the road for a few years in this guise. I have now sold it but if I did it again I would like to try the dry gear options
I already have a 22/68 gearing to compensate for my over size rear tyre, running 120/90 at the rear to keep with the german street racer style,

I could look at different gearing combos but this was the best set up to bring the ratio back down because of the oversize tyre
MCH

I have run lots of different malossi set ups over the years and got bored of the way you have to ride them. Got my self a polini and it so much better to ride, makes riding it a joy, so much torque. Im running a 220 with a 62mm crank, MB reed with a keihin 35mm Air striker. I have the BGN super strong cosa clutch that is plug and play and works very nice. It pulls a 24/65 gearing lovely. There is a bit of a difference in the transfer layout but I would just drop a Polinni on what you have and ride it.
That was my idea, put a polini on and see how I go,

read a lot of reviews about long stroking the polini too with really good results,

just need to weigh up my options
Fruitjuice

Buy an old seized Polini barrel for next to nothing, get it bored out for your malossi Piston and fit that. You reuse the Malossi head.
Cheap conversion that will give you bags of torque. Fit a 60mm crank and it only get's better
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
MCH

are there any reed valves which don't destroy the casings so that you can go back to rotary if you want to?

or are the ones that can, (i remember seeing one somewhere) pointless due to not opening up the inlet?
sean brady scooters
Dealer

yes mate,you can use the old malossi type ..and leave the inlet port and sealing pad intact and standard ,the thing though is you have to modify the crank for greater flow to compensate ..did you see our latest reedcrank ?

http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic ... 53&t=33118
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Can't the cylinder base be machined to lower the timings and a head packer be used?
MCH

I think I will go down the long stroke flowed crank and reedvalve route first and see the results,

when using the packer, do you just use a 1.5mm base packer, or do you use a combination of base and head packer ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information