AF DUCATI 12V BATTERY STATOR

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Lam-d
Main scooter: 71 Gp200e

Lads can anyone tell me how to change the above stator from a battery model to a normal AC stator as its not charging battery anymore and i am a tad fed up with it so was told it can be changed to a normal AC ...I have pics of stator if required
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

If it has two yellows run one to earth and use a Vespa type regulator.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
coaster

rosscla wrote:If it has two yellows run one to earth and use a Vespa type regulator.
Ross is most probably right but a picture would be a good idea just to be safe unless one of out electrical gurus knows the answer?
Lam-d

Cheers lads ..yes it has two yellows on the last coil and a red on the first will post pics later when i get in from the grind ...just a thought...technically speaking if i joined the coil wires that are connected to the yellows and cut them down to one wire i should be able to set up a wassel single phase rectifier ... i think lol ...i want to keep using this stator as its far superior to any other ones i have......Cheers again lads ..
rosscla

First check the two yellows are continuous and if they are then you can connect them direct to the yellows on my the wassell and keep your battery charge. The failure to charge the battery is much more likely to be a regulator / rectifier fault than the stator IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Lam-d

Cheers bud ...but what do i do with the red wire from the first lighting coil
Lam-d

here is a pic of the stator showing the 2 yellow and the red for the lighting
rosscla

Is that red continuous with yellows? it's hard to follow the way the coils are wired but it looks different from an AC one so best to check before doing anything drastic. That looks like it might be wired like the original 6v electronic with a red instead of a brown.

Just to be clear you have -

Two yellow to the regulator / rectifier
A red, a green and a white to the CDI
Another red - where did that go originally?
coaster

I agree with Ross, it is VERY hard to tell how the coils are wired from just that one shot, a couple of different angle would help and one of the reverse side. It LOOKS as if there are 2 yellows on the first coil and the others wired in series with one end earthed and the other soldered to a red wire.

For the Wassel conversion all 4 lighting coils are soldered in series, none of them are earthed. You already have a red at one end and you'll need to solder another wire to the end of the first coil. These are often yellow wires but it really doesn't matter what colour you use and they connect to the inlet (AC) side of the Wassel unit. The output from the Wassel (DC) is a Red and Black wire, the black connects to the frame and the red connects to the loom.
coaster

Just re-read your fist post, to make it AC the stator needs to be wired as I said but instead of adding a wire to the first coil, the coil needs to be connected to the earth tag 8-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information