Base Gasket Leak?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Is this a base gasket leak or something more serious. I can post more pictures if needed, there was also a lot of 2T behind the flywheel.

Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/rMAfA7]Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/rMAfA7]
gaz_powell

looks like base gasket leak and exhaust leak debris to me

it very typically seen on vespas

I personally think vespa base gaskets are generally crap far better choice for lambretta (various thinkness paper or foil available)

nothing coming from the flywheel side seal by the looks

clean it up, check the casings and cylinder base are flat and rebuild it with some stag wellseal (or your sealant of choice)
GLscoot

Cheers, engine is out of the scooter at the moment and have given it a good clean with carb cleaner. For once I didn't use gasket paste and stuck the gasket on, won't be doing that again. I had thought the gasket had gone was looking for confirmation and I knew my exhaust was fcked, used the scooter to get me through winter so wasn't to bothered about the mess.
GLscoot

Replaced gasket with a paper one & paste, Its gone again, are there any other underlying reasons why this is the case. I haven't used loctite on my studs, could this be the reason it keeps leaking, the scooter runs fine, just a bloody mess underneath the barrel and yes I do know I need to fix it.

The casings have been matched to the Polini Barrel & exhaust is held on with springs.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Unless you have 2 different casing halves that don't match then I would say most of the gunk is probably from the exhaust stub or the casing gasket has gone.
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

Pics have gone but id be interested in seeing thrm as ive got similar issues
GLscoot

hat wrote:Pics have gone but id be interested in seeing thrm as ive got similar issues
Sorry, I have deleted them from my Flickr page and can't find them on my computer.

Its easy to check, remove the exhaust and the 4 x M7 cylinder nuts & head, slide barrel up about 20mm and you should be able to see if there is a leak.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information