Powder coating casing

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
sydduckett

What's the going rate for powder coating a lammy engine casing these days, guy I use to do polishing said about £100 but I had to describe it to him. Also what sort results have people had with quality and longevity?

Ta
Sef
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

That sound fair enough to me.I presume its for the whole engine casing?
GBCS
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB250

What you are paying for is the prep and masking.

If you were to do that, you shouldn't be paying more than £35 - £40
sydduckett

GBCS wrote:What you are paying for is the prep and masking.

If you were to do that, you shouldn't be paying more than £35 - £40
yeah he mentioned the amount of masking would effect the price. I would be happy to prep it but I'm guessing it would need to be machine (soda, vapour) clean as opposed to what can be done with some gunk and brush... :)
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I had mine done last year, new Indian casing.handed it over as supplied, was blasted and masked and coated for about £90. Casing, chain case and mag housing. WTA Coating near Annan.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Have you thought about using engine paint instead of powder coat, easier to touch up.

Or ceramic coating.
sydduckett

GLscoot wrote:Have you thought about using engine paint instead of powder coat, easier to touch up.

Or ceramic coating.
I quite handy with paint but wanted something a little more hard wearing. In what way does ceramic differ from powder coat? I know they do it for exhausts. is the process the same as powder coat?

Ta
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

http://www.zircotec.com/page/home/1

This is the company that most have used to get stuff ceramic coated, Im planning on doing my exhaust in the next couple of months, still building the scooter, so can't personally comment on the process or how it looks/lasts but it is a lot more expensive.

My only problem with powder coat, it chips far to easy on any angled edge and so becomes a pain to patch up, if it were my casings, i would use engine paint.
Mal*1
Main scooter: Lambretta GP240 TS1

I have been advised not to powder coat as it cracks and becomes untidy fairly quickly... Might look into this ceramic a bit more though cos do fancy changing from standard dull grey and don't want shines either....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information