drive side plate screw HELP

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
steve chapman

[quote="shocky"]Did you have to drill it becouse the hex in the middle was fcuked? the reason I ask is becouse ive had to do some becouse the center become round off as its very shallow , I did as above but tig welded it instead offmig, ive always used a slotted screw and ive never not been able to get one out even with knackered slot , im not convinced that it needs to be high tensile when its going into aluminium[/quot

yea centre was soft ,like you said i wont be using so called high tensil allen screws again
lambro

Too late now, but when the hex hole is rounded, I hammer a torx bit in there, never failed yet.

Shaun.
goldeneye

you can generally get most fecked studs /bolts out , weld an old allen key in the hole, weld a nut on it or an old socket and nut and use a ratchet to get it out.
steve chapman

thanks for all your replys , i think the problem is as one or two of you have said, i maybe used either
to much loctite or maybee the wrong type but its about five or six years ago so not sure , i have decided
to get a new casing so i can get it back on the road and sort it at a later date and then either build another
engine or sell it on , regards Steve
dirtyhandslopez

Exactly why allen heads are terrible for this application.

If welding a nut on won't do it, try drilling drill it in the center, tap it, stick a double nutted bolt in there, heat lube and try getting the bugger out.

Grumps is on it on taking it to a machinist . Although saying that, the one I did take to a machinist, they messed up the ali. around the seal plate area, so it was a waste of time and money anyway...

I also stick to the dot punch method of holding them in place, have never not been able to get on out that is held like that, using an impact driver, extension and correct fitting bit.
That's not going anywhere...
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

steve chapman wrote:thanks for all your replys , i think the problem is as one or two of you have said, i maybe used either
to much loctite or maybee the wrong type but its about five or six years ago so not sure , i have decided
to get a new casing so i can get it back on the road and sort it at a later date and then either build another
engine or sell it on , regards Steve

If it's a loctite issue you can heat up the case and that will soften the loctite up enough to break the bond on the screw.
dirtyhandslopez

Understood Grumps, but it is a lot easier and more cost efficient to stick a imact driver in there and wack it with a hammer then spend time standing in front of a case burning gas to heat the thing up...even when you include the time it takes to dot punch when putting it together. Prolly why Innocenti did it that way.
That's not going anywhere...
tarmac templar
Main scooter: gp

wont work if you move the plate theres nothing to drill and tap .,,
TS1-200

Those allen headed countersunk screws are crap, always having problems with them, nothing wrong with the original innocenti slot headed screws,
Keep on keepin on
tavspeed

have used the puddle weld m8 nut method,you need a diy mig as the torch is nice and small and you can get in to weld,the torx method was what i used last time with a bit of heat to break any loctite on the thread,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information