Superstrong Cosa clutch

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

I really like the cosa clutch, its much easier in heavy traffic and feels less harsh on the gearbox. The downside is that for a tuned scooter they are not strong enough. I already have a welded banded basket, carbon plates and 16 springs but it keeps chewing through the splines round the inner metal part, I have now had 3 inners in 5000 miles. In a last try to keep the Cosa clutch I just got all the bits delivered to to fit this MMW Superstrong basket.
It really does feel like quality and the re-designed splines look like they will do the job. Anyone tried one of these? Any top tips I should know before I fit it?

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... o_93245000
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/files/ca ... .html#/437
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Jack
I bought the SIP Cosa 2 Clutch along with the pressure plate and it is brilliant. So I would imagine the MMW & DRT clutches will just be as good. Im currently running my engine in so at the moment its not under any pressure. Its the 22th clutch with the 67th primary and fitted all 12 springs. I don't think I will ever go back to a standard Cosa Clutch, although the SIP clutch and the pressure plate cost around £200 I think it will be worth it in the long run.
Gary
Train Driver

TS1 and PX stay in the garage (future barn finds) out on the GTS 300 when I go out on a scooter.
I know I’ll get there and back
rapido230
Main scooter: vespa 210 & lambretta gp

I used to have a banded cosa clutch but changed to a bgm clutch, it feels smoother and more precise
chrisM
Main scooter: Vespa GS 200

I fitted the BGM Superstrong last year. Although I just have an untuned standard engine I'm very happy with it's smooth operation. And I guess it would cope quite well with much more powerful engines.
Muttley McLadd

Do the BGM/DRT and MMW ones suffer with dragging once they've got a few thousand km on them?
CakeAndArseParty
rapido230
Main scooter: vespa 210 & lambretta gp

Not suffered any drag on the bgm clutch, no probs whatsoever
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

Well, I have fitted the MMW superstrong now. Carbon plates, new plain plates and XL springs. Went together OK. Overall looks pretty impressive.
The one thing I am not happy with is the 1mm spacer on the clutch cover. You can't fit the clutch cover O ring with the spacer and even with plenty of gasket sealer it is still weeping gear oil near the primary drive nut. Without the spacer the cover just touches the basket and pushes on the clutch and it disengages (I did try it, the first weep was more of a gush). They sell milled out covers to stop this and keep the O ring. I think I will just mill mine out myself, when I get the time.
Functionally the clutch is no different from before. Still feels the same as an up rated Cosa2. It does rev out about 100 rpm more, so must be slightly lighter. I now have totaly confidence this clutch will not break :roll:
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information