180 Kits. Pinasco or DR?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
bigmuff
Main scooter: matt black indian gp

Want a cast iron kit for PX125. Dont want to do the casings as I've only just rebuilt it in the summer. What one would you pick and why? Got a SIP Road2 pipe and Polini Venturi filter already.
acko

DR or Pinasco will be ok but ditch the Polini venturi air filter thing.
More trouble than its worth.
Better to be someone for a day than no-one for a lifetime
rapido230
Main scooter: vespa 210 & lambretta gp

My honest opinion pinasco is better kit overall, never liked dr as seems like running in forever with the tight tolerances. And when mate had one it kept nipping up
bigmuff

acko wrote:DR or Pinasco will be ok but ditch the Polini venturi air filter thing.
More trouble than its worth.
What was the problem with the Venturi?
thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

Cast Iron? the pinasco is ally barrel, and in my opinion is the way to go, dont ride vespas no more but when i was younger i always remember the DR kits seizing up.
My old pinasco was running a harry barlow reed vale, and no bull never let me down
bigmuff

Pinasco do both cast iron and ally 180 kits. I dont want to go down the ally/nicasil route. Anyone used the cast iron version? Have read that the DR kits are sometimes tight on the piston to bore clearance. I would be getting this checked on either kit and honed to 4 thou clearance if needed (run my lambrettas on 4 thou with no problems)
goldeneye

I"d go DR meself . once ran in (I hone them a bit before fitting, and chamfer the port edges) they are pretty bullet proof. any cast iron kit will nip up if the bore clearance isn't checked (they are a budget kit afterall) Ive ran a couple on work scoots, and they've been great. standard upjetted carb and a 22 tooth clutch. (I"d go for the up gearing over buying a fancy pipe for it, a sito plus or similar would work just as well) if you've got an electric start, youll have to grind away a bit of the bottom fin to get it to fit (not a lot 2 or 3mm) not sure about the pinasco fitting, been a while since ive seen one TBH.
Polossi220
Main scooter: Vespa PX220

I would go for DR kit I've done a couple for club members DR kit std p2 carb and sip road pipe surprised at the difference it makes
bigmuff

Cheers fellas. Looks like i'll go for DR kit and 22 tooth clutch. Already got SIP Road pipe and Polini Venturi on std 20mm carb. Dont really want to change carb if it runs ok with the 20mm.
bigmuff

Has nobody used the Pinasco 177 cast iron kit recently on here?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information