BGM Clubman bad fitting downpipe

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
MB group
Dealer

Has any of one of you ever designed, developed and tested a product and put it into a manufacturing process? The chances are you have never done any of it and found the difficulties that we faced.

It's hard enough dealing with UK manufacturers who can not listen or supply to their promises!

We've had people say these boxes fit perfectly and we've had people saying some need a little fettling. We've had complaints where customers have no idea how to even fit an exhaust. Customer have brought in pipes for not fitting, we've shown the customer how to fit it and they don't believe how easy it was when they spent days and loads of emails to sort it. We've not had one that doesn't fit unless it's a later Mugello which is designed wrong on the exhaust port flange height. Pipes and tubes can pull and twist in mass manufacturing which can usually be tweaked in a vice.

As for paint we can not win, Germany tried and tested lots of different paints and coatings from the manufacturers and were not 100% happy, so left it for the customer to choose - Black or Silver, Chrome or Ceramic coated. We know there have been fitting issues which are really small and easily done at home. And yes - engines do vary, our perfect sample slid on and off our Lambretta jig and needed tweaking in Germany on a bike. We can assure you that it's something we are looking to resolve with a list of problems/niggles/improvements to make these boxes even better for Version 2.
purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

Mine fitted no problems, had to trim the head cowl a fraction though.
£10 to blast and a can and a half of black exhaust spray.
Pulls like mad now. Milea better than the AF one I had nothing but trouble with before it fell to bits.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

MB group wrote:Has any of one of you ever designed, developed and tested a product and put it into a manufacturing process? The chances are you have never done any of it and found the difficulties that we faced.

It's hard enough dealing with UK manufacturers who can not listen or supply to their promises!

We've had people say these boxes fit perfectly and we've had people saying some need a little fettling. We've had complaints where customers have no idea how to even fit an exhaust. Customer have brought in pipes for not fitting, we've shown the customer how to fit it and they don't believe how easy it was when they spent days and loads of emails to sort it. We've not had one that doesn't fit unless it's a later Mugello which is designed wrong on the exhaust port flange height. Pipes and tubes can pull and twist in mass manufacturing which can usually be tweaked in a vice.

As for paint we can not win, Germany tried and tested lots of different paints and coatings from the manufacturers and were not 100% happy, so left it for the customer to choose - Black or Silver, Chrome or Ceramic coated. We know there have been fitting issues which are really small and easily done at home. And yes - engines do vary, our perfect sample slid on and off our Lambretta jig and needed tweaking in Germany on a bike. We can assure you that it's something we are looking to resolve with a list of problems/niggles/improvements to make these boxes even better for Version 2.

fair comments and at least it's a reply to the problems raised and not another dealer ducking the issues
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

purple_pill67 wrote:Pulls like mad now. Miles better than the AF one I had......
yes....gotta say, the BG-MB clubmans I have dynod so far have all given substantial power benefits over the other brand clubmans which were previously fitted........30% on the last scooter for Karen Aither, went from 12bhp to 16bhp on a little 186cc with the change of pipe. So fitting issues aside that's some of you are having, the power increase alone does it for me, and i'm a staunch anti-clubman campaigner!! :lol:
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

And on the note of paint.....there is a £300 exhaust which I use a lot from another company, it comes painted in black........but every single one burns/sheds its paint from downpipe end up to 1/3 of the way up the exhaust on its first dyno run. I prefer the un-painted versions, as I find the £7 tin of satin BBQ paint from B&Q stays on better than the paint from the manufacturer!
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

Lol oh ye it doesnt stay on for long Dan #rustydownpipe :grin:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
dirtyhandslopez

Fitments are an animal unto themselves because of the varients of casings/kits/assembly procedures, as already stated above. It's hard to be 100% on anything. In fact, it's a waste of time to be perfect, it will never happen.
Addressing the coatings-I reckon most paint finishes(if cured) will mess up because when the pipe expands/contracts due to heat, the coating may not. Simple physics, the coating will fall off eventually. If the physics don't do the damage, the heat/cold being generated will do the damage. Swings and roundabouts if you will.
Chrome is possibly the exception as it is a steel and will expand and contract. Plus, it's a good indicator of how the motor is running, looking at the color of the downpipe. Ever wondered why most bike buidlers use chrome exhausts? Not just 'cause it looks nice ;)
Powder coating warms up and stretches when it get's hot, but it has to be applied correctly or it won't adhere properly and even then, if the coating is baked on hard(as the coaters do, it's what the ovens are set for) it will be trying to stick to a surface that changes in dimensions. Tough job for a coating of any kind.
May be why good pipes are sold uncoated. It then gives the buyer a choice.
Painting or coating so that the finish is not cured might be the answer to the problem cause it will still be sticky and strecthy. Good chrome never falls off though...
Hasn't there been a thread about coatings before? If not, there will be in a minute.
That's not going anywhere...
Ricko

Anyone unable to get one to fit, or not happy with the unpainted system. I'll take them off your hands at a reduced cash price. :evil:
Don't all rush at once now.
Rick. 8-)
livefast_diefat
Main scooter: Vespa Sprint 225

I can not believe people still moan about s**t like this and compare it to the car world

hardly fair to compare parts from a multi billion dollar industry to a ten bob lambretta cottage industry

mine fit easy as pie but I had to enlarge one of the holes on the mounting bracket a touch, which took around 24 seconds and cost bugger all, compared with the 47 hours it takes to fit a JL or similar, I was quite happy.
One Part Man, Two Parts Legend.
bazabod_downunder

Point taken...I'll wind my neck in & continue fettling :O/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information