How to stop the rear led from flickering?

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

Right, I made up a rear led lighting board for the S2 which Im mainly happy with, just used some plastic and a couple of strips of waterproof leds off ebay.

Now, one strip runs off the battery (charges from the regulator and is wired to power the rear brake light, horn and front spotlight)

Now the rear running light on the other hand is normal AC and hence there's a flicker which isn't too annoying to me but I'd be 100% happy if it didn't have it.

So, anyone know how I can get rid of the flicker at all? Im guessing a capacitor of some sort but need help to point me in the right direction.
Donnie.
coaster

A capacitor won't help you if you are using AC to the rear light. Surely it's on'y flickering on tickover though, as the revs rise the flicker wiull increase in frequency and not be noticable. The only other way would be to split the leds strings in half and wire them back to front. Then half will be on with the positive pulse and the other will be on on the opposing pulse. The light output should look the same......I think.

Beter still, do the full DC conversion with a Wassel regulator and forget about flickering lights forever 8-)
Donnie

Id love to do the wassel conversion but have a varitronic and don't believe it can be done as anytime Ive asked I get no definitive answers :-/
Donnie.
Train Driver

coaster wrote:A capacitor won't help you if you are using AC to the rear light. Surely it's on'y flickering on tickover though, as the revs rise the flicker wiull increase in frequency and not be noticable. The only other way would be to split the leds strings in half and wire them back to front. Then half will be on with the positive pulse and the other will be on on the opposing pulse. The light output should look the same......I think.

Beter still, do the full DC conversion with a Wassel regulator and forget about flickering lights forever 8-)
Donnie me and mazz have the same problem even at high speed/revs and it looks worse from 50 metres back :(
i have the wassel conversion and will have to check it out now, donnie did you get your 21 inch flan dish ????
TS1 and PX stay in the garage (future barn finds) out on the GTS 300 when I go out on a scooter.
I know I’ll get there and back
Train Driver

coaster wrote:A capacitor won't help you if you are using AC to the rear light. Surely it's on'y flickering on tickover though, as the revs rise the flicker wiull increase in frequency and not be noticable. The only other way would be to split the leds strings in half and wire them back to front. Then half will be on with the positive pulse and the other will be on on the opposing pulse. The light output should look the same......I think.

Donnie me and mazz have the same problem even at high speed/revs and it looks worse from 50 metres back :(
i have the wassel conversion and will have to check it out now, donnie did you get your 21 inch flan dish ????
TS1 and PX stay in the garage (future barn finds) out on the GTS 300 when I go out on a scooter.
Train Driver

coaster

Train Driver wrote:Donnie me and mazz have the same problem even at high speed/revs and it looks worse from 50 metres back :(
Do you have a battery or a battery/eliminator fitted TD? Provided the battery has charge there shouldn't be any flickering but if there is no battery/eliminator then it's possible that there could be some flickeing at low revs but that doesn't explain flicker at high revs. Check that all connections are tight.
Donnie

Train Driver wrote:donnie did you get your 21 inch flan dish ????
24cm sauté pan you mean? And yes, you'd be proud of me, got it from John Lewis of all places. :D
Donnie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information