Allstyles half head cowling

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
wezly

Cowlings just hold the heat in because with the size of the reedblock on ts1 and rb kits theres no cool air from the fan going through the fins of the barrel that side anyway. With this new cowling air flow under the scooter will cool the head when its moving also.

Allstyles have used these for years btw, either these or no cowlings at all.
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

I might sound like a bit of a twonk here, but has anybody tried adding extra fans to a cowling?? IE small battery operated fan from say a pc? or some other device?
RICSPEED

c e's scoot had a large 12v fan to keep under pannel heat down ,warm fule is a bad thing also
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Could it ne that a full cowling is better for town riding with the "semi" cowling being better for the long hauls ??
mickdale

if warm fuel is a bad thing then surely its better to have the cowling to try to keep the hot air from the cylinder/head away from the inside of the panelwork/frame?

i can understand both arguments but surely it cant work both ways

if one way is better than the other then i'm all for it but i will need to see objective evidence first
Tom Russell

mickdale wrote:if warm fuel is a bad thing then surely its better to have the cowling to try to keep the hot air from the cylinder/head away from the inside of the panelwork/frame?

if one way is better than the other then i'm all for it but i will need to see objective evidence first
Couldn't have put it better myself mickdale :)

Obviously, keeping the cylinder and head as cool as possible is imperative, and if it has been proven that this 'half head cowling' does just that, then awesome, though I'm just surprised we haven't heard more about it already!?

In any event, I can't help thinking that there is a gap in the market for a new design cylinder head cowling (and maybe flywheel cover and fan) that is proven to keep everything cooler, especially for TS1/RB etc. kits where it has previously been stated that these suffer with cooling problems with standard head cowlings.
RICSPEED

Tom Russell wrote:
mickdale wrote:if warm fuel is a bad thing then surely its better to have the cowling to try to keep the hot air from the cylinder/head away from the inside of the panelwork/frame?

Couldn't have put it better myself mickdale :)

Obviously, keeping the cylinder and head as cool as possible is imperative, and if it has been proven that this 'half head cowling' does just that, then awesome, though I'm just surprised we haven't heard more about it already!?

In any event, I can't help thinking that there is a gap in the market for a new design cylinder head cowling (and maybe flywheel cover and fan) that is proven to keep everything cooler, especially for TS1/RB etc. kits where it has previously been stated that these suffer with cooling problems with standard head cowlings.

what SHOULD have been done a long long time ago with the ts1 etc is what Ron moss has done with the avanti kit ,there's not a huge scope in improving the efficiency of the current fan design i dont think
mickdale

just an afterthought - the left hand side rear runner has a "flap" that angles the underside air away from the fan inlet - thus promoting the air to be taken from inside the bodywork.

i assume this was to minimise the risk of road based dirt etc finding its way inside the cooling system. - would it now be better to have angled the rear running board flap the other way to promote fresh air from the outside to be used - maybe with some kind of minimal mesh as a filter without adversly affecting air flow rates?
RICSPEED

mickdale wrote:the left hand side rear runner has a "flap" that angles the underside air away from the fan inlet - thus promoting the air to be taken from inside the bodywork
for that reason i cut it off :lol:
Speed Demon
Dealer

My guess is that feature exists to prevent water splashed up from the front wheel being sucked into the fan and soaking the ignition or cylinder.
Get to SULK
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information