PX125 Stuck In Gear

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Run15

Evening All,

I have recently bought a 5 month old 2015 PX 125. Just been out on it and noticed that it wouldn't let me change down from 3rd to 2nd. I tried 3rd to 4th and it selected fine, but then wouldn't let me select back down to 3rd. The shifter was completely stiff and could not be moved each time I tried to down shift.

I'm a noob with scooters and riding, but I'm not aware that I was doing anything wrong. I thought it may have been the cables to the batwing that needed adjusting, but nothing seemed to work. Tried rocking the bike back and forth whilst trying to shift but its completly stuck in 4th. Tried moving the batwing by hand and it will not budge at all.

Spoke to local dealer as its under warranty and can take it next week but obviously have to pay for it to be transported there.

Before I go to that trouble and expense, is this an issue anyone has come across and what do you think may be the problem. As I say, I'm a noob and don't wanna look an idiot taking it in and paying £60 for transport if its something simple or theres something i haven't checked.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I'd disconnect cables on the selector box, then with the wheel lifted and a screwdriver pushing the selector, move the wheel (3rd pair of hands might be useful) and hopefully you should move the gear selector.

If successful then I'd whip the headset cover off and see if any thing is stopping the cables from moving.

Not a common fault so hopefully something simple.........
Run15

Cheers Mick1.

I did try this (kinda) but like you have pointed out, may need that extra pair of hands. Had the back wheel lifted, missus held in the clutch, had the selector pressed with a screwdriver with one of my hands whilst trying to move the batwing with my other hand. Maybe it just needs that 3rd person helping move the wheel and batwing then. I'll give it a try again tomorrow.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Pop a couple of blocks or bricks under the motor, just enough to get the wheel of the ground.

What is the batwing?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Run15

Dunno what its real name is, but its the ratchet plate (image on here) http://vespamaintenance.com/engine/select/
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Ok, so the bit you were pushing with the screwdriver was the sprung loaded ratchet arm?

You need to see if it will select the gears without the cables being involved. They can get trapped / frayed / damaged in various places.

Take the plug out so you're not trying to turn it against the compression. Using the screwdriver to push the batwing, while turning the back wheel backwards and forwards, you should be able to jog it into each gear in turn. If not then the problem is in your gearbox or selector the selector box and you probably want that looked at under the warranty.

If it is a warranty issue then they should pick up the bill for transporting it.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Run15

Cheers rosscla. Thats correct it was the spring loaded arm i was pushing with the screwdriver.

I will follow your instructions tomorrow and see if i have any joy.

I did ask that question about transport charge under warranty, but they told me its not covered.
Run15

Update:

Disconnected gear cables, jacked it up, removed spark plug, had someone move the wheel back and forth whilst i levered back the selector arm/spring and tried to manually push the batwing down the gears but it would not budge at all.

I guess it sounds like its back to the garage under warranty unless anyone else has any other ideas?

Cheers
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

maybe post your location and someone on here with a bit of knowledge may be local
Run15

Cheers Mick, i'm in tameside, greater manchester.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information