Thoughts on carbonisation problems?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
speedy
Main scooter: lambretta af s type ts1

I have a slightly confusing problem regarding carbon build up on one of me scoots. The motor is a standard TS1 with matched cases, 30mm vhsh Delly and a Fresco pipe. She has covered around 4000 miles and I run on unleaded and 4% mix. My oil is Putoline scooter x ester tech fully synthetic. The carbon build up in the pipe is really quite heavy and also one of the rings is stuck in the piston, not gummed in, but by carbon, which is something I have never come across. The piston could be cleaned up , but ideally wants changing. Any ideas as to what may be the cause? One suggestion was that I don't thrash her enough another was crap oil, but I have used various varieties of Putoline over the years and always found it clean burning with good lubricity. Thanks,Speedy :cry:
Adyonekenobi
Main scooter: Li150 Special, now TS1 225cc

My first thought was that 4% mixture might be too much after running in.
I know that AF Rayspeed recommend 4% but I run my TS1. 225 on 3% fully synthetic Rock Oil with no problems.

It runs very well IMO and pulls from 25 mph in top gear of need be, after start up she runs with no discernible smoking from the exhaust.

Good luck

Ady
Spanner check the running gear before every outing, like in the Army. You know it makes sense!
nelson pk

Yep 3% synthetic is what I would use
speedy

Thank you both,Yep I accept the views of the 3%/4% argument and that everyone is of a different opinion. AF also recommend 4%, others 3%. Personally I have always ran 4%, but have never come across this kind of problem before. I could maybe understand too much oil gumming up rings if it isn't burnt, but the carbonisation thing has got me baffled. I need to be certain as to what it is, as buying a RB piston every 3000/4000 miles isn't my idea of fun. cheers,Speedy.
coaster

What sort of colour are you getting on your plug? just wondering if it's a bit rich maybe or maybe you have the wrong grade of plug?
speedy

coaster wrote:What sort of colour are you getting on your plug? just wondering if it's a bit rich maybe or maybe you have the wrong grade of plug?
A nice brown colour, not black and oily. The plugs I use are Champion N3. cheers,Speedy.
speedy

Think from reading another thread, the problem is as my tuner said, not giving the bike enough of a thrash regular enough, so maybe need a bit more fist and dropping down to 3% when not on long motorway journeys. We shall see.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information