PX engine in a wide frame - SIP Bracket Offset

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ArmandTanzarian

Hello all,

Just fitting the SIP adapter bracket and it looks like it offsets the engine by around an inch or so. I thought for a moment that maybe the centre of the back wheel doesn't line up with the centre of its engine mount but it does.

Surely this is a very bad thing! :shock:

Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Lor@n

Put a wide tyre ;-)
http://lambrettiste.free.fr to get a FREE proper timing disc --> http://lambrettiste.free.fr/documents/f ... gradue.pdf
"A tidy shed is a sign of mental disorder"
ArmandTanzarian

With the engine in it doesn't look as bad as it did but it's definitely a bit off.

I think SIP do a spacer designed for wide tyres, maybe that would help. Or even a couple of washers behind the rim, the studs are pretty long.
Svint1

Turn the rim?
President of Roughnecks Scooterclub

http://www.Roughnecks.no

1965 Vespa SS180 (218)
1971 Vespa 90 Racer
1986 Vespa PX250 (250 Rotax on CNC casings)
1987 Vespa PX210 with Cozy Sidecar
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Having looked at the picture closely, there is more space on the engine side of the bracket. Try moving the bracket towards the engine side of the frame. Don't turn the wheel, doesn't work.
Gary
ArmandTanzarian

GLscoot wrote:Having looked at the picture closely, there is more space on the engine side of the bracket. Try moving the bracket towards the engine side of the frame. Don't turn the wheel, doesn't work.
Gary
Surely that would make the wheel even more out of line. The wheel needs to move down by a cm or so
GLscoot

After I wrote the comment I realised, the bracket would move the wrong way. Have you thought of grinding a little of the bracket and a little of the frame. I don't think you would need to grind as much as 10mm off. To make it spot on I think you may need to make your own bracket out off 25mm square steel sections and 5mm steel plate. But I would definatley get the SIP shock bracket and fit the front end so you get the bracket spot on.
Gary
a.lo.v2
Main scooter: sx 200

don,t you have to use the gs/ss non offset rims for this conversion?
GLscoot

The PX rims are 70/30 and I think the GS160/SS rims are 60/40. That may work, never tried it. I would imagine you would only need the GS160 on the rear. The other idea that has been sugested in the past is to put a spacer on the rear axle, fit hub and standard PX rim. But I was strongly advised not to do that as you could not fit the split pin. Most of these ideas are ok in the short term, but I think it's better to get it done properly from the start. If its offset by about 5mm that isn't going to make a blind bit of difference to the handeling, 10/20mm will.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information