Clutch spider dimensions ?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Bombay Mix Pilot

Hi All, got a question about the clutch spider centre dimension/length, in the good book it says the centre should protrude very slightly when assembled throught the rear sprocket & bearings. My sprocket ( MEC Eur lightened 5 plate job ) and either a brand spanking new SIL or a new one piece Scoot RS clutch spider don't seem to achieve this measurement. What are the issues of not getting this measurement and is there a way of shimming the spider etc to get it right? Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Andy
shocky

if the spider is short of the sprocket you will have to get the sprocket shortened if it to long you will have to machine the spider to 0.1mm proud if the gap 9is to big the rear sprocket will rock side to side or muve up and down this will wear the sprocket and chain hope that helps
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Bombay Mix Pilot

Thanks, my big problem is who sells or how to get a spider that is correct, is it a common engine build problem ? Does every clutch or sprocket change have this problem ?

Cheers

Andy
shocky

my last one was 1.2mm and that cost me £48 it was a MEC one from a well known dealer it was a innocenti drive sprocket
id say a very common problem if you have a collection of each then you might be able to make a pair up
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Bombay Mix Pilot

Thanks for the response mate, but this is my whole point, I don't really have the time or cash to start collecting crown wheels and clutch spiders. You didn't say what the effect of the spider being shorter than the crown wheel would be. Also which side of the crown wheel needs machining or is it just equal from each side ? Getting close to aborting this engine build due to the fact you can't get parts that fit. These should be the easier bits to match up. Bloody Lambretta's, they'll ruin me.

Cheers

Andy
shocky

IF THE SPIDER IS TO SHORT THE CROWNWHEEL WILL BE PUSHED ON TO THE CASING AND LOCK UP IM NOT HOME TILL WENS SO CANT TAKE ANY PICS OF WERE TO TAKE MATERIAL OFF JUST TO SAY WERE THE SPIDER POKES OUT UNDERNEATH IS WERE IN YOUR CASE THE CROWN WHEEL NEEDS MACHINING HOW MUCH IS IT OUT I USE SOME EMMERY SHEET TO LAP MINE DOWN IV NEVER USED A MACHINEST
Bombay Mix Pilot

Sorry mate if I've upset you by asking advice ( using capitals usually means someone is shouting ) but I thought this was what the site was for. Anyway will go and get it sorted one way or another.

Yours

Andy
RICSPEED

probs left caps lock on :?
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Bombay Mix Pilot wrote:Sorry mate if I've upset you by asking advice ( using capitals usually means someone is shouting )
He wasn't shouting mate.....he was in a rush. ;)
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
sean brady scooters
Dealer

i,m afraid its par for the course.........
seems like everything you can get nowadays needs a certain amount of reworking /fettling................. :lol:
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information