Paint costs ????

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
leehuggy72

Evening,

Having been round the block in my town (grimsby) asking friends who know anybody who could spray my scoot, i'm seriously thinking of doing it for the first time myself..

i've had qoutes of 400 and ' you won't get much change out of 500 mate' :shock: :shock: :shock:

i'm i wrong in thinking this is a good price.. i just can't see how it costs that much for a scooter..

I priced up some paint locally and that came to a 100 for everything i need..

any thoughts idea's :?:
leehuggy72

should this topic be in General, :oops: :oops:
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

£400, that's cheap, try counting up how many individual parts, it's about 30 from memory. It also is going to depend on how much of the prep work you do yourself.
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

Depending on the paint job lee £400.00 is not that bad again depending on the spray job,but theres nothing wrong with DIY just get plenty of advice, set an area in shed/garage with plastic or similar sheeting and be aware its all about prep work prep work and prep work, it might sound daft now BUT you will know what i mean......
Correct temp where your going to spray and most important patience and more patience and loads of waiting for paint to harden to move onto the next step in the next process...

And first of all you must get he correct base to work from....If you are going to expect a good quality DIY paintjob remember the foundation of the paintjob must be correct..
Not that i want to put you off i just wouldnt want you like a lot of us go ahead and be dissapointed with the end product after invested money and a lot of time in DIY...

Andy.
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
coaster

I sprayed my Li Special using spray cans, I reckon I spent about £120 and that included primer, spray filler, white base coat, blue pearlescent and laquer, this was the result
The only mistake I made was using acylic laquer which disolves when you spill petrol on it which I have on at least 3 occations :roll: Halfords do a petrol proof laquer which would be a better choice where contact with petrol is a possibility.

The car in the background was sprayed by me using a home compressor and cellolose paint in 1992, still looks good even now.

Having said that, £400 is a very good price if it includes all the prep work.
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

wow. didn't realise you'd done that yourself coaster. looks good in the metal. nice to see the marcos out of your entrance hall :mrgreen:
as has been said, it's all about the prep. £400 seems pretty cheap if they're going to do it all, and do it properly.
maybe find somebody who has sprayed lambrettas before, so they know how many bits there will be and where the most seen areas are.
or, do it yourself
ArmandTanzarian

The average price for a scoot is around a grand. Painters that have never done a scoot usually quote less and then realise that they've made a terrible mistake when they see the amount of individual, weird shaped bits that are 40-plus years old, covered in scabs and need extensive prepping. That's what you're paying for.

If you've masses of patience then try it yourself but very few home jobs look as good as a professional one when you look closely.

This bloke in Kent did both of my scoots. Top bloke and very reasonable prices. He'll do anything from a straight resto to a custom airbrush job.

http://www.airbrushandinstallations.com/
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Angry Bloke

I sprayed my Li Special using spray cans, I reckon I spent about £120 and that included primer, spray filler, white base coat, blue pearlescent and laquer, this was the result
You did a really good job there mate and for a small cost. 8-)
The average price for a scoot is around a grand. Painters that have never done a scoot usually quote less and then realise that they've made a terrible mistake when they see the amount of individual, weird shaped bits that are 40-plus years old, covered in scabs and need extensive prepping. That's what you're paying for
Absolutely, my GP was quoted as £800 including panel stripes and chequered flag.
When I collected it the painter said if he was to requote it would cost £1400 ! :shock:
Je fettle - Tu fettle - Il fettle - Nous fettleons - Vous fettlez - Ils fettlent

"Broadsword calling Danny boy ,Broadsword calling Danny boy ,over "
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I think the cost of a quality respray is the reason a lot of us are now riding "as is" like "The Heap" on the left of this message :D

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
leehuggy72

Thanks for the reply's guys,

when some of you are telling me 1400 for a paint job then 400 pales into insigificance.. :oops:

coaster, just show's what you can achieve out of a can, nice scoot ;)

I've managed to speak to a distant family friend who said around 500, he wants to see the scoot and then give me a better price.

its been blasted and etch primed.. i've also filled all the dings and dints on the panels and rubbed them down to a fair ish standard.

so he has a start i guess..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information