Vespa GL Resto

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
challenger

I Part exd this Vespa GL for an LI3 that id just finished, the GL was already stripped and had already had a bit of welding done too it by a well known scooter shop in Germany, most of which needed redoing and tidying up, Ive finished the prep satge and have just started rebuilding. Im in the middle of polishing all the ally bits and the motor still needs putting together

The Lammy that I part exd...just been offered it back as the buyers run out of cash and cant afford an engine :roll:

Before:::

After...sold without engine ;)

The pile of bits that I recieved....
Frame;

Looks like a lot of filler on the floor, its really a very thin skim to cover small dents, most of it disapeared after sanding.

After Painting; It had to be sprayed twice, the first attempt was a bit rough, all the seams around the horncover had been filled in, quite happy with the new respray now though.

Forks have been Powder coated, along with the wheels, stand, hubs etc...

Ive stripped the motor, cleaned everything up, havent started rebuilding it yet...

Had all the original screws, bolts etc redipped in zinc or chrome...Im trying to reuse as many parts as poss...

I still need to decide which motor to put in, Ive got the original GL 150 and a PX 80 with a DR 135 Kit....Ill be doing a bit more on the frame rebuild over the weekend so ill take a few more progress pics and updat next week.
Last edited by challenger on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
hungdog

Liking that a lot :mrgreen: Quality work
Richjak

hungdog wrote:Liking that a lot :mrgreen: Quality work
I second that!!! great rebuild please keep us all updated. Love the frame you used on the rear wheel of the lambretta to create a rolling chassis where did you get that or did you fabricate it yourself if you did may i ask for a few photos so i am able to fab one up for myself.

Keep up the excellent work.
BOTAK ITU INDAH.
Manos

Great work my friend!!!
challenger wrote: I still need to decide which motor to put in, Ive got the original GL 150 and a PX 80 with a DR 135 Kit....

I prefer the original motor.. ;)
Shaunbond

Very nice...
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
LateAgain

Excellent work so far... dont suppose you've got a spare petrol tank do you?
challenger

I havent had much time lately to do much on the GL. I fitted the Stand, brake pedal and runners last Saturday, the runners took about 8 hours to get right.
I resused the original runners and rubber strips after finding out that the remade ones Id bought are completly the wrong shape.
The original ones where a bit bent and had a lot of ally corrosion, took about 4 hours to get em sorted and halfay decently polished.
Stuck the rubbers in the dishwasher and gave em a Polish afterwards with Shoe polish, turned out well.
Done quite a bit on the seat as well, the cover needs to go back to the saddlers as it doesnt quite fit, (its not high enough).

Also got a few bits back from chroming, the mirror turned out ok but ive now got a gold plated headlight rim......if anyone wants to swap for an original undamaged chrome one give me a shout ;)

The next step should be fitting the loom and cables....Ive decided to fit the PX80 motor to start with as I have all the parts. (The GL Motor needs a rebore or a New Kit and an electronic kit fitting which will probably break the budget at the mo).
I was planning on buying a wiring loom fot the PX Motor but theyre sold out.
Ill be off down to "B+Q" today to buy some electric wire and fittings as Ive decided to build my own loom.

@Late Again, sorry mate, I sold my spare tank a couple of weeks ago.
Ill ask a few of my Mates if they can sort you out.

If anybody has got a Spare front hub...I need one. Just found out that my Front hubs off a GS3 and doesnt fit properly ;(

Last edited by challenger on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
challenger

Love the frame you used on the rear wheel of the lambretta to create a rolling chassis where did you get that or did you fabricate it yourself if you did may i ask for a few photos so i am able to fab one up for myself.
Its self made, just a few metal table legs holding a Lambretta front hub.

Ill take a few pics for you, I didnt measure anything out before building it, just fitted the hub between two bars with the hub spindle and welded bits on till it fitted in the frame..........
BrunoM
Main scooter: 160GS replica P200engine

challenger wrote:Image
Stand feet rubber are in the wrong position.... :lol:

nice job ;)
steve c

Two absolutely excellent scooters, I like the reuse it philosophy,
What are you painting in two pack or cellulose as it shines well.

I have got mark one gs 160 ( was a wreck from rust) got a floor pan welded in by a friend very reasonably ( I really wanted to do it myself but I would still be fiddling with it I suppose).
I have to finish painting it in cellulose,The frame was acid dipped three years ago and the anti rust acid killer is still oozing out, and a bitsa tv series 2 which I will powder coat the frame and internals and cellulose the panel work. Plenty to do with a long term health condition but I am never happy with anyone else work other than my own, Had a paint job done but It was brilliant in places but very thin in others so back to doing it myself if I ever have any energy and time at the same time.

Steve
Last edited by steve c on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information