inboard disc caliper

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
minotaur

somebody told me that scooter loopy john does / did a plug and play slave cylinder/ caliper for a lambretta inboard brake disc set up which is more responsive than the scootrs version.

does anybody know if he still does them?

thanks
Train Driver

TS1 and PX stay in the garage (future barn finds) out on the GTS 300 when I go out on a scooter.
I know I’ll get there and back
minotaur

i sent a message earlier to his site, thanks, i also know that until the end of 2007 foxy on the LCGB site used to do them.

i was also kindly referred to cs engineering but their price was higher than mbd conversion which my back plate already has and mbd charge the full conversion price for just the caliper.

i would be content with a circlip retained unit and if necessary secure with grub screws also, there must be a large market for this as the scootrs caliper only has a small diameter piston
minotaur

i can confirm that scooter loopy john no longer does calipers (from the horses mouth) , but have also been informed that the new scootrs in board calipers are better performing than the old ones.

can anyone confirm this? i cannot seem to find a photo of the piston face of the new one , just the banjo side........
minotaur

looks like i've cracked it, this guy is making his own...... cut and paste this link...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0530800844
scootRS.com
Dealer

I'm sure that's a good one, but can you explain why you think some differ? I can't see how the piston being smaller or larger by a mm or 2 would make any difference.

I'd think the MC had much more affect on performance and would depend one's setup, semi/full, no?
minotaur

hi,

i am sure the master cylinder has a MASSIVE difference, because i want near original looks i have a hidden MC which will compromise performance hence i will experiment with this to try to compensate

i already have a scootrs caliper so will do the experiment, i think this is a well made product by the way and reasonably priced, just trying for the best looks / brakes possible

i will also use sintered pads

a few guys are saying that when they used scooter loopy johns caliper before it felt sharper, this may have been due to piston size in caliper but i will try both calipers in both my scooters and see... i will let you know, on the beach in brazil 'til next week 39 degrees

i'm no physician but my missus says bigger is better.......
scootRS.com
Dealer

>>when they used scooter loopy johns caliper before it felt sharper

He's definitely a sharp guy. Go for it. :)
minotaur

extracted this from a car racing caliper supplier, been doing some research and a lot things lead to piston diameter size.........................................................................................................................

.''Many caliper models are offered with a choice of piston sizes, construction and material. Combined piston area, not caliper size, is the primary influence on a caliper's clamping power. The piston volume must match the master cylinder bore size and pedal leverage to realize peak performance from the system. Rotor diameter will also impact the system's effectiveness. Different piston sizes provide the car builder with options to maximize the overall balance and brake system performance.
Piston material is selected based on the caliper's intended operating environment. Stainless steel pistons are used most often in calipers intended for high performance or competition applications. Stainless steel is selected for its low heat transfer properties and high resistance to corrosion''
methinks that because a hidden grimeca system is so large (compared to handlebar mc) the largest possible slave piston is needed ''piston volume must match the master cylinder bore size and pedal leverage to realize peak performance''

with the handlbar mc this is probably not so important, i hope to test next week...
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

minotaur wrote:looks like i've cracked it, this guy is making his own...... cut and paste this link...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0530800844
Maybe I missed it but I couldn't see where it said he makes them himself. From what I recall it looks pretty much the same as the scootrs version.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information